mating

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aje88

Reaction score
If you house a boy and a girl mantis together will they mate or they have to like each other?

Last edited by a moderator:
AHAHAHAHAHA :lol: wow. Well i don't know if this is a serious question or not. So I'll try not to be a kill joy. But the answere is yes and no. If the mantids are both adults, the same species, and (as members of this forum have suggested) been adults for a couple of weeks then they may mate. There is no liking or disliking among mantids. They all pretty much hate each other.

uh ismart mantid lord understands what im talking about.cus im not refering to what your thinking

uh ismart mantid lord understands what im talking about.cus im not refering to what your thinking
Oh! sorry aje88. Can't be to carful these days. ;)

Make sure you keep them seperate until they are ready to mate. You don't want to risk one cannibalizing the other before they reach adulthood.

Like mantidlord said wait at least a couple of weeks after they turn adult to try and have them mate. During that time feed them well.

Oh! sorry aje88. Can't be to carful these days. ;) Make sure you keep them seperate until they are ready to mate. You don't want to risk one cannibalizing the other before they reach adulthood.

Like mantidlord said wait at least a couple of weeks after they turn adult to try and have them mate. During that time feed them well.
Haha! My original reaction was the same as Ismart's, Aje! They aren't "boy and girl mantids," they are males and females, and they don't "like" each other. Their first impulse is for the larger one to try and eat the smaller one, but when she is ready to mate, the female gives off pheromones (chemicals that let the male know that she is ready to mate, in this case) that temporarily override their temptation to eat each other. During or after mating, though, the larger female may decide to eat the male anyway, so in addition to Ismart's and Mantidlord's advice, make sure that the male has plenty of room to escape after mating.

Haha...

You never know...

The other day, I was re-mating my last Gambian female (for the 3rd time) and when I put the male in and closed the lid, she almost immediately snatched him up. I scrambled to get the lid open, she let him go, and he jumped on top 180 degrees turned. She had just eaten and discarded a cricket about her size, so I thought she wouldn't even strike.

Haha...You never know...

The other day, I was re-mating my last Gambian female (for the 3rd time) and when I put the male in and closed the lid, she almost immediately snatched him up. I scrambled to get the lid open, she let him go, and he jumped on top 180 degrees turned. She had just eaten and discarded a cricket about her size, so I thought she wouldn't even strike.
Mantid love is hard to understand. :D