mio nymph not eating?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahoystetson

Reaction score
I received two female Egyptian nymphs from GreenOasis (thank you!!) on Wednesday afternoon of this week. One was slightly older than the other; L4 and L5 maybe?? I'm bad at judging these things, haha.

They both seemed to be in good health & still do, except that the older mantis hasn't eaten a thing since she arrived! I've tried small crickets, bluebottles (both flying freely and on a toothpick), canned mealworms, and honey on a q-tip ... and she hasn't taken anything. She either acts like she doesn't notice it, or she practically recoils from it whenever it's offered to her.

She looked pretty well-fed when she arrived, so I imagine that she's either full or getting ready to molt. Considering that it's been over three full days, would you say this is normal? The smaller mantis has eaten bits of mealworms and bluebottles with no problem, so the larger one should be okay with them, right? I don't think the crickets really appeal to them.

I've run a forum search but didn't really find anything. these are my first mantids ever, so all advice is appreciated! :)

Not to worry, a plump mantis can go over a week without eating with no ill effects, just mist her gently so she can drink once a day or so, and yeah my first guess would be it's going to molt. ;)

well folks, looks like I posted this an hour too soon. I left the house, came back after dinner, and she'd already finished molting to her final stage. I just wish I'd been there to see it!

I hadn't known that they could go up to a week with no food! I'd read somewhere that they only stop eating *two* days before a molt, so I was worried. guess I shouldn't worry so much ;) Thank you both for the help. Sorry that this topic became really pointless really quickly...

Congrats! I was about to say I was with the others. It sounds as though your young mantis is getting ready to molt. Just mist it a few times a day and it should be fine. I have had my mantids go as long as nearly a week without eating when they were ready to molt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, Im with the others. It sounds as though your young mantis is getting ready to molt. Just mist it a few times a day and it should be fine. I have had my mantids go as long as nearly a week without eating when they were ready to molt.

Latest posts