Miomantis bleeding(?) after molt

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intheabyss

Reaction score
Hey! I'm wondering if you guys could give me some info or advice about what's happening here, please.

I checked on this little dude this afternoon and was excited to find that he had shed and had wings! (I expected it, as he had killed but not eaten a house fly a couple of days ago).

He must have molted sometime last night or early today, and I there's this blue/green blob underneath his (newly emerged) wings on one side. It hasn't gotten (noticeably) larger since this afternoon. He seems pretty happy and healthy, very active when I opened the lid to take the photos! He did some little dances where he wiggled his wings about.

So, I gather that this is blood? What do you think could have caused this? And what should I do?

Thank you!

blood.jpg

blood2.jpg

blood3.jpg

blood4.jpg

When insects expand their wings, they do so by pumping hemolymph through the veins. If there's damage to the wingbuds, a bubble of hemolymph forms after expansion of the wings.

Puncturing it to drain it should be avoided unless you think it'll tear on its own and become a bigger wound than you'd produce with a pinprick. It's a bubble of hemolymph, which means it's connected to the rest of its body's supply of hemolymph and could spread an infection.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! I was especially interested to learn that this was associated with unfolding the new wings, and some damage to them..

Yes, he is doing fine (though he tries to fly sometimes when I open the cage or am handling him, which is adorable because he sucks so badly at it). The green glob has even gone away on its own.

Yes, he is doing fine (though he tries to fly sometimes when I open the cage or am handling him, which is adorable because he sucks so badly at it).
I always end up cracking up so much when this species tries to fly. The boys always seem to go backwards instead of forward. I've seen a couple try to flutter hop to an object only a few feet away only to end up landing three feet further than they started in the opposit direction. :stuart:

I always end up cracking up so much when this species tries to fly. The boys always seem to go backwards instead of forward. I've seen a couple try to flutter hop to an object only a few feet away only to end up landing three feet further than they started in the opposit direction. :stuart:
hahaha!

I had him on my hand when he decided to fly/hop to my sweater.... somehow landed on a drawer handle about two feet below instead. I imagine him saying "No, this is what I meant to do, I swear!"

Looks like he managed to reabsorb the excess hemolymph used to pump the wings up like they're meant to do after the wings have fully hardened. Sometimes the hemolymph bubbles stay because the damage also prevents proper redistribution of the hemolymph--it's good that that wasn't the case for him.