molting problem

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadow Mantis

Reaction score
Hi

My mantis molted today. The problem is that the old exoskeleton is somehow wrapped or attached around her leg. Should I remove it, or just leave it on her?

Thanks

Try to remove it nice, slow and gently. This allways happens to my chinese mantids. :lol:

Mist her leg a little bit and slowly pull/peel the molted skin away. If it doesn't give easily, don't force it. Allow the water to soak in a bit and then try pulling again. Mist, wait, pull, repeat.

I've had good success using this method with the problem molts I've encountered. This is assuming that it's a little on the dry side for the mantid.

The temperature of the water doesn't make too much of a difference. If you absolutely need warm water to loosen the skin on a molt, then you've got bigger issues to worry about than that single molt. So long as you're not spraying boiling hot water at them, any temperature of water should be fine.

Not really. Warm water helps make things come off. And who in gods name said I said Boiling hot water?

I'm speaking from personal experience when I say that the water temperature doesn't matter.

If a keeper needs to use warm water to loosen the molt on a mantid, because normal room temperature water won't absorb quickly enough, then the keeper needs to re-examine their mantid keeping practice, because their enclosures are obviously not humid enough.

I never said that you said anything about boiling water. Please don't accuse me of putting words into your mouth. What I said was, "So long as you're not spraying boiling hot water at them, any temperature of water should be fine." The "you" used was in a general sense for anyone reading the post. I was not singling you out. The point of that sentence was to emphasize that water temperature does not make a difference.

well sorry I thought you were saying I said hot boaling water. :lol:

I say mist it lightly or just leave it. I very rarely have issues with molting so I have not really had to face this problem. Shouldn't happen though.

Latest posts