Molting Problems.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pondscum

Reaction score
Well, I've had a few mantids die because of bad molts lately. 2 out of my 9 died while trying to molt to L3. So I tried increasing the humidity, but now another is molting and he is molting on the ground. Now his legs are stuck in the old skin. What should I do? I tried carefully pulling him free, but it won't come off. Thanks for any ideas.

-Scum

Well, I've had a few mantids die because of bad molts lately. 2 out of my 9 died while trying to molt to L3. So I tried increasing the humidity, but now another is molting and he is molting on the ground. Now his legs are stuck in the old skin. What should I do? I tried carefully pulling him free, but it won't come off. Thanks for any ideas.-Scum
Well what species. How big is container.

Well, he died last night. I got him out of his old skin, but none of his legs were working right. Then he just died. And to answer your question, I think he was a chinese mantis.

If they get stuck most of the time there is nothing you can do.

If he's still in the middle of molting, you can tape the ends of the (old) legs and hang the tape somewhere. It's worked for me before. B)

Well, I had tried pinning him up by his old skin, that didn't work either. But if it happens again that does seem like a good method to use. Thank you all for your input.

-Scum

Don't be discouraged if they don't moult well. If all the species that died moulting were chinese, that's quite typical. The chinese species generally are more susceptible to that.

Latest posts