molting question

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scriabin

Reaction score
Hi - this is my first time keeping mantids - I came home tonight and one of my chinese females had molted and now dramatically has wings.

Was this the final molt? She's only around 3.5" - I thought she would get much bigger!

That is it. The mantis is now adult and will molt no more. You always here people talking about 6" chinese mantids but I still haven't seen one. You sure that is what you have?

I mean - I ordered a chinese ootheca ... unless the salesperson pulled a switcheroo, I think she's they are chinese.

Well I wont hold it against her, being small. :)

Wings are a sign of the final molt! :D Congrats on raising hatchlings to adulthood!

Sounds a little small for a T. sinensis female. Was she well fed?

Probably is a Chinese mantis since 3.5" would still be big for most other over-the-counter breeds like M. religiosa and S. carolina

It is normal to have smaller chinese mantis. Tenodera angustipennis appear similar looking to the T. sinesis but slightly smaller. My last wild caught chinese mantis is about 4 inches.

af2.jpg

It is normal to have smaller chinese mantis. Tenodera angustipennis appear similar looking to the T. sinesis but slightly smaller. My last wild caught chinese mantis is about 4 inches.
af2.jpg
Where did you catch that?!!

I've haven't seen a mantis outside in years :( and it was only the one time, too.

Where did you catch that?!!I've haven't seen a mantis outside in years :( and it was only the one time, too.
Try Bear Creek Park in West Houston. It is on Hwy 6 then turn into Peterson rd and you will see a huge park. For some reason that park has more Thesprotia graminis and Stagmomantis carolina than the Chinese mantis. I am sure you can find mantis on other parks too there are many parks in Houston. Sorry scriabin don't mean to hi-jack your thread i will stop here.

You guys are so lucky with your finding and catching wild mantids and such!!!! I only get the honour once in a while out here in jersey. but then I don't like it here so why would they?!!!! :) Only here for the fam and when that's over I'll be off into the wind!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts