More questions! ^_^

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beatsnotbombs

Reaction score
Hia all, I just had some questions! (My house is at 68 right now!)

-All my hydei flies just spontaneously died...so now I'm left with those larvae things, how long until those little wriggly worms become flies?

*I'm left fly/food less at the moment...

-Could anyone reccomend me a bulb (relative low cost, please) that could heat up maybe a shelf all at once?

-Is there anything I could use to (easy to find) supplement food for the time being? I've heard about smashing things and offering that to the mantis...but that doesn't work with me. My little guys usually end up shying away or being scared...the super small mealworms are still to small for my nymphs (L2 creobroters and L1 ghosts). -I'll need this for a week or so!

-My ghost mantis (now L2!) isn't eating, but its abdomen is abnormally small (I try to keep them plump! I figure that comfortably full is better than hungry)...Idk if its a male or female yet...is this expected? I keep it quite humid...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS, ALL! Thanks for being a great forum and providing us noobies with advice! Much appreciated!

Depending on how long they've been larvae, you should have adult flies in a day or three, it'shard to say without looking at them. No pupating larvae on the sidewalls? You can always hit up a petco for melanogasters.

just watch and you will see them turn from the tan color to a darker brown...usualy they rise up the cup. you can tell when they are getting close

petsmart usualy has hydeis...or petco has melongasters like he said

Last edited by a moderator:
Those ff maggots should hatch in a few days or less, all cultures boom then die down and then boom again, so the best way to always have some is get 2 or more cultures going a few days apart so you always have one that is booming while the other is recharging.

check out petco. really any old cheepo bulb there will do.

I use 23 watt curly fluorescents, they generate quite a bit of heat due to the ballasts being in the base, and are cheap to buy and run, there are many other wattages to choose from if you want more or less heat, I put them in a $5 shop clamp light, works great.

The L2 is probably going to molt, and they don't eat a few days before usually, and honey should keep them going till the ff's are ready, mantis can go several days with no food and be just fine..

Last edited by a moderator: