Mosquito Hawks Rising

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sporeworld

Reaction score
Here in SoCal, we're starting to see Mosquito Hawks (or Crane flies) popping up again. These are easy to catch, just chillin on walls and around lights, and were a HUGE favorite of my ghosts, orchids, violins and young Idolos. They flutter and make a huge commotion, and really get the mantids heads darting around. And becuase they're all leg and wing, really easy for the nymphs to catch and hold. Of course, they ARE little on the slim side, and do leave a lot of mess in the cage (legs and wings everywhere), but OH the smiles on those little mantid faces... Priceless.

Here's a link. I'll see if I have some pics later tonight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crane_fly

Happy hinting!

I've been catching them and feeding them to mine too! I am glad you posted a link, I've been finding the larvae everywhere (while gardening) and was wondering what they were. My turtles like the larvae :)

Definitely, those cranes flies are a food favorite that I use. I don't know in south cali but here in central cali, there are 2 species: an orange one and a dark gray one. The dark gray ones are the larger ones and are the most abundant around this time. I wished they were that abundant year round but they are most abundant in the spring.

Funny. I never really noticed the colors, but I certainly noticed the different sizes. Came in handy with the ghosts. The big ones were pretty intimidating!

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, they don't have much meat for adult mantids, but for young mantids, its quite much (especially when you feed the female crane flies).

Latest posts