Mosquito Hawks

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sporeworld

Reaction score
I caught another Mosquito Hawk tonight (they look like giant mosquitos), and have now declared them THE best appetite enhancer! Sometime I can't tell if a mantis is still interested in feeding, or maybe getting ready to molt. But, boy oh boy! Throw in a Mosquito Hawk and there's NO questions! Seconds only (maybe) to a fluttering moth. But that sometimes spooks them - not the floundering hawk!

Just thought I'd share.

Oh, and if you live in Los Angeles... Mosquito Hawks are out again! :)

Ah yes! I fed my adult h. parviceps a crane-fly the other day and she loved it! I'll be grabbing more of these while they're out in the Seattle area. Super easy to find and catch.

I have noticed that while I usually use CX andg.hoppers as feeders these days, when I do offer something that flies a lot the mantids get very excited, I believe from the beating wings.

Mark and lunarstorm: What is there to a Crane fly as far as food goes. They are all legs and if the legs and wings are tossed, what is left. It would be a good indicator of condition and things to come as you, Mark noted. I had a katydid fly into my residence a few nights ago and what excitement there was when it was introduced to the baby Panther Chamy. It was if someone said, "dessert"!

Yes the hawks are a great stimulator because they flutter so much. Almost all my mantids will chase them down, lol.

I think I have fond a new mantis behavior! Flutter=die.

I am in southern California...everytime I see a cranefly-mosquito hawk I catch it and take it home to my mantids...I dont know what the crane fly eats but I have come across a couple fat ones that offer a great mean...

Mark and lunarstorm: What is there to a Crane fly as far as food goes. They are all legs and if the legs and wings are tossed, what is left.
Though certainly not as plump as a juicy bluebottle or housefly, I've seen some crane flies with substantial abdomens.

Though certainly not as plump as a juicy bluebottle or housefly, I've seen some crane flies with substantial abdomens.
Yeah - either really close, or possibly more. I don't know squat about them as a species, but the abdomens are really long on the ones I've found. Enough to get the juices flowing, as it were... :)

I was feeding my mantis with crane flies, she seems to like them, coz they flutter a lot :p plus they are easy to find and catch, but of course they are not the only insect on my mantises menu xD

I saw virtual swarms of them in Michigan last week. Also, a lot of grasshoppers and mantids all along the edge of a drying meadow. Caught a huge adult female 2 minutes after sitting down. Flew right in from of me - my borther thought it was a sparrow!

I also feed them, they do offer grreat stimulation, and though not huge in terms of food, some are big enough to offer a decent snack inbetween regular feeder insects...

Just an update - I saw my first Mosquito Hawk of 2012 tonight. So all you SoCal mantid-lovers - keep your eyes peeled.

96cab987.jpg

not much meat on them. still delicious though... i mean good feeders :D

I am in Orange County....I will be watching like a "hawk" for these tasty little buggers.

these crane fly a.k.a. mosquito hawks are to mantids what earth worms are to fishing!!!!

all species are willing to take em'!!!!

Latest posts