moulted but dosnt looK A1

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cockshad

Reaction score
HI THERE,THIS IS MY FIRST POST....I GOT UP THIS AM TO FIND MY CHINESE MANTID HAD MOULTED,BUT WAS LYING ON FLOOR OF HER/HIS ENCLOSURE...IT HAS WINGS NOW,BUT THE BACK LEGS ARE DISTORTED AND LOOK USELESS.THE LOWER HALF OF THE LEGS ARE CURVED ROUND AND THE MANTIS SEEMS TO HAVE TROUBLE WALKING/CLIMBING.HAVING SAID THAT ITS MANAGED TO CLIMB TO THE TOP AND HOLDING ON WITH REMAINING 4 LEGS.ALSO THE WINGS LOOK CRUMPLED AND DISTORTED.WHAT ARE ITS CHANCES?WILL I HAVE TO HAND FEED? DOES THIS MEAN THAT THE MANTIS IS FULLY GROWN OR IS THERE MORE STAGES LEFT.IVE HAD THIS ONE 2 MONTHS,AND IS APPROX 8CM LONG...I DONT KNOW HOW OLD THIS ONE IS BUT GUESSING IT WAS BORN LATE AUG.....THIS HAS BEEN A BAD WEEKEND,MY OTHER CHINESE NYMPH DIED ALSO SUDDENLY SAT,SO IM FEELIN A BIT SAD FOR BOTH OF EM....ANY HELP/SUGGESTIONS GRATEFULLY RECIEVED THANKS-TIM

First suggestion is not to use the [Caps Lock] when typing a post...

But wether you need to hand feed depends on its ability to catch food on its own. If the front legs are okay and came out straight, then it has a chance to be okay.

Sounds like the problem with the molt could have been lack of vertical space or having a good place to hang from like netting. How big is your cage and what is it made of?

hi there..was in a large cage with netting,plastic fish tank affair,with netting sides and top....the mantis is on top of tank now,holding on withmiddle two of back legs and one front...back two legs seem withered after "knee" joint and dry.mantis attempting to use them,however on sign of life from below knee.wings dry and withered,looking like dried up leaves.....thanks for reply

...Maybe the humidity was too low then? Or it fell too far and couldn't climb up.

Back leg problem makes me think humidity. The messed up wings mean it couldn't get to a place to face up and pump up the wings. That often happens after a fall or lack of a way to crawl up after molting when it is harder to grip glass or smooth plastic.

Latest posts