My babies just wont eat!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ad-Kins

Reaction score
I saw a topic similar to this but most of the suggestions are for hand feeding. However, I've tried this several times to no avail.

My little Chinese mantids hatched three days ago and they have yet to eat. Does it take them awhile to get hungry? I figured that they would be little eating machines. I've tried live crickets, mealworms, and ants. I also spilt the chrickets and mealworms up for hand feeding, but they were just not interested.

I have a fear of maggots so I'm trying to avoid fruit flies, but if I must, I can order some.

Other than this, they seem very happy. I just can't figure out why they wont eat :( Any ideas? Thanks!

Fruit flies, definitely. They will start to eat around 3 days after hatching. Mist with warm water so they can rehydrate. It might be too late to order and have fruit flies produced in time to feed.

Order the ff's but don't be surprised if most are cannibalized by then. It will be a lesson learned I fear. :(

But hey you can get 500 more for like 5-10 bucks. ;)

I have 6-7 Chinese ooths I you find you need to start over.

Good luck to you what ever you decide.

Just as Angelofdeathzz mentioned.. most of them will probably cannibalize each other by the time the fruit flies come. Perhaps if you look around some rose bushes you'll find some aphids to temporarily feed them. =) Some of the rose bushes out there look like they are utterly DESTROYED by aphids.. Good Luck!

Friut flies it is then! *shivers*

If I leave some fruit on the counter, they'll some a flying so I should have soon XD

Thanks guys!

Fruit flies, definitely. They will start to eat around 3 days after hatching. Mist with warm water so they can rehydrate. It might be too late to order and have fruit flies produced in time to feed.
So they typically don't eat right away? That's good to know, Thanks a bunch!

More good news! fruit fly maggots are designed for folks who don't like maggots. First, they are almost impossible to see while they are feeding because they are very small and the same color as their food (some people put a blue dye in their fly food to see the maggots better -- I guess that you won't be doing that!). Before they pupate, they climb up the side of their container, but unless you are checking regularly, you won't even see them before they pupate. Finally, if you do look very, very closely at one, it will often smile and give you a wink. Give it a try!

Could you introduce yourself in the Introductions forum, so that we can all say, "Welcome!"? Thanks. :D

My Violin love pinheads! Have you tried the pinheads?

Also what's your enclosure like? I found out that I could actually save the life of a mantis if the enclosure is better for feeding. Pinheads are so tiny that it's difficult to spot and catch them in plantation soil, and they just hide underneath paper towel substrate.

My suggestion is that you completely remove all substrate and enclosure decor before you put the food in. After the food is gone, rearrange the enclosure. I know this isn't ideal however it sounds like you have an emergency and this could help these guys feed until they're older and more aggressive.

This tactic saved my violins from total oblivion, it may help with yours.

I've tried feeding chinese nymphs carpenter ants once.... bad mistake... Ants are tough little guys, they mangled up a bunch of nymphs and they didn't even seem interested in feeding.

When I get new babies in, I want to be sure they either eat before I put them in their enclosure.

I put them in the small delicups with a papertowel glued to the inner lid and drop in some food (probably one fruit fly) then check in later. If they eat or are eatting, then I feed them a little more before putting them in their new homes. If they don't eat, then I remove the food, add some humidity, and put them aside, labeled "ICU". Once they've molted, dried and eatten, I put them in their new home.

The little isolation cups are always more then twice their height (for molting), and I do this primarily to avoid cannibalism and others disrupting a molt. As almost all my setups are communal, this system gives them a chance to get aclimated in the new enclosure without the desperation for nutrition.

Another side note is that I like to see their frass (feces) in the isolation cup before I put them in their enclosure, as well. Mostly paranoia, but just in case.

Hope that helps.

More good news! fruit fly maggots are designed for folks who don't like maggots. First, they are almost impossible to see while they are feeding because they are very small and the same color as their food (some people put a blue dye in their fly food to see the maggots better -- I guess that you won't be doing that!). Before they pupate, they climb up the side of their container, but unless you are checking regularly, you won't even see them before they pupate. Finally, if you do look very, very closely at one, it will often smile and give you a wink. Give it a try!

Could you introduce yourself in the Introductions forum, so that we can all say, "Welcome!"? Thanks. :D
Great to know! If anything, I can make my boyfriend take care of the flies XD

I'll have to do that, thanks!

My Violin love pinheads! Have you tried the pinheads?

Also what's your enclosure like? I found out that I could actually save the life of a mantis if the enclosure is better for feeding. Pinheads are so tiny that it's difficult to spot and catch them in plantation soil, and they just hide underneath paper towel substrate.

My suggestion is that you completely remove all substrate and enclosure decor before you put the food in. After the food is gone, rearrange the enclosure. I know this isn't ideal however it sounds like you have an emergency and this could help these guys feed until they're older and more aggressive.

This tactic saved my violins from total oblivion, it may help with yours.
I have an aquarium without soil. I wanted to keep the cage somewhat open so they could see the food. I'll have to check pinheads out. Where do you get yours from? Thanks!

When I get new babies in, I want to be sure they either eat before I put them in their enclosure.

I put them in the small delicups with a papertowel glued to the inner lid and drop in some food (probably one fruit fly) then check in later. If they eat or are eatting, then I feed them a little more before putting them in their new homes. If they don't eat, then I remove the food, add some humidity, and put them aside, labeled "ICU". Once they've molted, dried and eatten, I put them in their new home.

The little isolation cups are always more then twice their height (for molting), and I do this primarily to avoid cannibalism and others disrupting a molt. As almost all my setups are communal, this system gives them a chance to get aclimated in the new enclosure without the desperation for nutrition.

Another side note is that I like to see their frass (feces) in the isolation cup before I put them in their enclosure, as well. Mostly paranoia, but just in case.

Hope that helps.
That is an awesome idea! I'll have to do this with my new mantids coming in. Thanks so much!

I have Melanogasters producing right now (these are much bigger cultures than you can get from Petco or the like), and I will have Hydei soon. I think I even have some that don't have the dye added right now (I ran out last time I made cultures).

Fortunately, Chinese grow fast enough that you won't need to have a fruit fly culture for long! ;)

I have Melanogasters producing right now (these are much bigger cultures than you can get from Petco or the like), and I will have Hydei soon. I think I even have some that don't have the dye added right now (I ran out last time I made cultures).

Fortunately, Chinese grow fast enough that you won't need to have a fruit fly culture for long! ;)
I had a D. Hydei culture that was boom-boom-booming the other day, but I think it was a little overcrowded because now its full of dead flys. :blink:

My mels are boom-boom-booming right now but they should have enough space where they don't overcrowd and die, HUZZAH!!

The sooner they eat crickets, the better XD

Latest posts