My chinese ooth just hatched!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally not fair. I'm going to lose my mind if they hatch during our mini vacation next week.

I'm going to separate to about 10 to a cup give or take and just let them cannabalize for a week or so then start actually feeding them FF's and whatnot as they age. That's the plan at least!

I prefer to hatch them out in a large container and just keep them all together until I have the number left I want to raise. This species often has high mortality when at L1. I normally feed after about 24 hours after hatching. They may or may not take any food though. Eventually they will.

Yeah as Rick said they won't eat for a day or two after hatching, I keeped 8 out of my last batch after letting them thin out to L2 together in a 80oz deli cup.

there were 13 nymphs left after reaching L2 that I put in 8 32oz deli cups and the strong survived till I had just one in each container.

And now there all doing well at L3-4, one of them Is much larger than the rest, so we call her/him Big-O and the smallest was little-O but he died at L2 to be replaced with one of the doubled up cups so I still have 8 nymphs that are doing great.

keep in mind that they are very big eaters and go through alot of ff's if you keep many of them, 10-12 nymphs will eat 100 ff's in a couple of days ,LOL. :D

Good luck with you new babies. ;)

They'll start taking food in 24-28 hours. They have a huge appetite and they grow quickly! Be prepared with hydei fruit flies for L2 and L3!

They'll start taking food in 24-28 hours. They have a huge appetite and they grow quickly! Be prepared with hydei fruit flies for L2 and L3!
Deby: How are you doing with your brood of Chinese nymphs? Can you give us all an update, please?

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I started with five, and all but one died in the first instar. My only one left turned out to be a brown male, and he made it to sub-adult. Sadly, he got munched on by some of my cats and has passed on. :(