My first mantis Susanna died

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosbyArt

Reaction score
My first mantis, Susanna a Stagmomantis carolina, died this morning just after midnight. The last few days she was slowing down, barely hanging from her lid (just a few legs unlike normal), and not wanting to eat the final couple days - although she finally did eat once yesterday morning.

I assume Susanna died of old age, as I saw no black substance or any noticeable problems. I caught her outside my work October 23, 2014 (saving her from the first winter freeze), and she died January 5, 2015 aging 74 days - she got to see in the new year, survived a cold winter, laid 8 ooths, and got some new mantis nymph neighbors for a few hours (a generation of Carolina ooth nymphs laid and hatched during her lifetime).

It's a strange coincidence, one of my incubating ooths (one that I found outside - this one in fact that had the mites) hatched yesterday and I noticed the nymphs around 6pm - then about 4 hours later I found Susanna dying.

I'd like to say she went peacefully, perhaps she did for a insect - as she was my first pet mantis I have no idea. I found her laying in her coco substrate at 10:40 PM and she out stretched her left raptor foreleg as I laid her habitat in my bed to get her out. At which point she had her four walking legs already curled inward and she never moved them.

I placed her careful in my hand, my first and last time I got to do that (as any normal time she would head butt my hand and run from it). Anyway I held her for over 30 minutes saying our goodbyes; however, after several times I thought she was gone I realized that if I pushed on her raptor forelegs gently she would swing them wildly for a second and it wasn't just "nerves".

During the time I knew she was still alive she would randomly fling her raptors around her head and hold them there for awhile before drawing them back inward - and at times flaring from side to side while doing it.

After the first 30 minutes she quit the random arm movements as mentioned. But any knocking nearby her or touching her raptors would still make her flare her arms a bit. This continued for about an hour and a half... I finally placed her back into her habitat where I found her once she barely moved no matter how much I touched or knocked - which I only did twice.

The picture below was me holding her shortly after finding her, and she was still quite alive. I thought it was appropriate to get one final photo of her alive; although, you can see her walking legs folded, her color was fading and black slowly creeping in, her face seemed to slowly liquify, and her eyes became cloudy. She fought to the very end. I will bury Susanna under a bush that is always full of insects during the summer near my door.

I thank her for allowing me the chance to save her and find such a great hobby/pets such as her, which I will continue. I am though shocked at how sadden I am over her death - the same as nearly any pet I have lost over the years, even for the short time I had her (must be the fact of the daily care, turning her light on/off, sitting beside my desk, etc..).

Her first ooth I have been incubating 72 days now so I assume that sadly her ooths are unfertilized. I will continue incubating them though for another month or two before giving up. if they don't hatch in the end, I will bury them beside Susanna.

susanna-goodbye.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry for your loss Cosby... I know these guys just tug at your heartstrings... you do become very close.. plus all the stuff you learned to be able to keep her alive and healthy.. She has taught you a lot... and hopefully her ooths are fertile... time will tell... I think she knew you were her savior... Fly free Susanna!

Aww... I'm sorry Cosby, jeez man everyone's losing mantids it seems.. =\
Thanks yeah, sadly that time of year I guess. At least she survived to see a new one. :)

Sorry for your loss. I also lost a few last month as well.
Thanks, I'm sorry to hear of yours as well. I was upset at one, let along several. I hope it gets a bit easier as time goes on - otherwise I don't think I could handle many more seasons.

So sorry for your loss Cosby... I know these guys just tug at your heartstrings... you do become very close.. plus all the stuff you learned to be able to keep her alive and healthy.. She has taught you a lot... and hopefully her ooths are fertile... time will tell... I think she knew you were her savior... Fly free Susanna!
Many thanks Denise, that they do. She did do that and it will help with all my new nymphs. I hope at the least in the end one of her ooths hatches; otherwise, it seems all her effort in them will be in vain.

aw man sorry about Susanna! ive lost quite a bit of mine recently. It sucks! but at least we have photos to keep the memory alive!

aw man sorry about Susanna! ive lost quite a bit of mine recently. It sucks! but at least we have photos to keep the memory alive!
Thanks, and sorry to hear that too, sorry for your losses as well. That it does, and photos do help - but hopefully her ooths will help even more. ;)

I'm sorry she is gone. Im glad you had the chance to hold her and say goodbye. That is very important.

The joy they give us makes up for the pain and emptiness when they go. The space she took up will seem so very big now that she is gone, but you will find a new friend to fill it.

I met my like quota for the day again as usual - I have to remember I can't like much in life especially on this forum
confused.gif

I'm sorry she is gone. Im glad you had the chance to hold her and say goodbye. That is very important.

The joy they give us makes up for the pain and emptiness when they go. The space she took up will seem so very big now that she is gone, but you will find a new friend to fill it.
Thank you for the kind words. I am glad I got a chance to hold her, it seems to add a nice end to our story together.

Thanks, and sorry to hear that too, sorry for your losses as well. That it does, and photos do help - but hopefully her ooths will help even more. ;)
Thanks, and very true! always helps to have their babies

I'm so sorry Cosby. She looks just like "Harvey", the one I found in my yard this year.

Cosby thank you for this post. The last couple of days it was obvious Gizmo was dying. This post helped us to know what to expect. We finally lost her this morning.

We have been crying and pretty sad. She was a member of our family. She played with us every night and loved to hang out and watch TV. Just the other day we took video of her playing games. The night before things turned she seemed to be doing better, including playing her favorite game again and randomly fluttering her wings. It was heartbreaking to go from that to obvious dying the next day.

She started something though. Because of her antics we recorded all the great stuff we did, and my girlfriend started an Instagram for her. Suddenly coworkers and family went from rolling their eyes at our claims to believing us and being fans of her. Strangers around the world started contacting my gf to ask how they can get a mantid, what they should do with the one they found, etc. (for those that wanted to buy oothecas and mantids we referred them to this forum since you guys document who is reliable) and suddenly mantids had a new group of fans wanting to love them like we loved Gizmo.

Today we will bury her and say goodbye. We will continue to care for the ootheca she left us and hope to have her offspring someday. We will give many of them out to the friends and family that suddenly want one of their own. She did so much she didn't know about and I'm grateful we had her.

So, thanks again for sharing your experience, it really helped.

Sorry to hear of so many losses of beloved pets and friends. It really is sad to see them go, even when we know it is inevitable.

When my lone Ghost male dropped unexpectedly a couple days ago, it was very disheartening. I had hoped for him to mate and at least get a chance to continue through offspring--he seemed to really enjoy being handled and was an enthusiastic eater. Any hand near him he would reach for, waving his raptorials. I don't name my mantids much anymore, since they have been so numerous and don't live as long as I wish they would. Naming them seems to make it that much harder to say goodbye. But sometimes it just can't be helped, can it?

I credit these forums for helping me to extend the lives of my little friends--all the information about proper habitats, care & feeding, not to mention illness and injury prevention and treatment. . . .this is always the first place I check when I have questions, and the best one to find answers! I know that several mantids under my care have lived longer, more pleasant lives as a result of the info I've gotten here.

Thanks. It was a rough weekend. We cried a lot and are still sad. We put her in a prescription bottle that we wrote/drew on, put cotton in it, and I buried her under my gf's window.

Amazingly, within seconds of announcing her passing on Instagram, we were flooded with "hearts" and condolences. And if that wasn't enough, it appears that over 150 more people subscribed to her page after we announced we still had plenty of pictures and videos to post of her (my gf and her were constantly taking pictures, playing games, etc.) and that she laid eggs so we would hopefully have babies to take pictures of.

I am worried though that I could have helped her and didn't. I was reading -- albeit too late -- that feeding them honey has medicinal values to it for them. I was concerned that I never saw her drink water despite putting a little water dish (a cap) with distilled water. I'd even pour some on our hands but she'd never drink it. I'd purposely make it so she would get her feet wet a little so she'd clean them off and get water that way. I read somewhere of someone re hydrating mantids with Petco crickets so I'm not sure if she got water that way.

Now more than ever I am hoping her ootheca hatches. I know there will never be another like her but I am hoping her offspring are as friendly and smart as she was.

If you caught her as an adult, she may have mated so her ooths will be fertile.

I am so sorry she is gone! She was one of the neatest mantids I have ever seen on here or on Facebook! I hope she mated and you get many babies.

Latest posts