my first mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys s

Reaction score
hello , i am really intrested in mantids and i was wondering was is a good first one , and i also dont know the latin names so bare with me with that . i really like the congo green and they seem a nice size aswell and they look stunning . but what others can i find out about and i can get enjoyment from keeping . i keeping reptiles but inverts are a big step in the oposite direction i was going in ( snakes ) and now mantids caught my eyes . and i still dont get 1st instar i think that was what i meant .

thanks in advance

chinese are great for a beginner,there the most tolerant to some mistakes you might make and very easy to keep.they eat all types of feeders. some types of mantis need far more care and may only eat flying insects or need high heat and humidity etc.

chinese are great for a beginner,there the most tolerant to some mistakes you might make and very easy to keep.they eat all types of feeders. some types of mantis need far more care and may only eat flying insects or need high heat and humidity etc.
I disagree with that. The nymphs are quite fragile for awhile. The adult size can also pose a problem for some people. I recommend the budwing mantis, african mantids, any of the stagmomantis species, etc. Most mantids can be kept basically the same way.

I was speaking from my own personal experience with about 20 mantids 3 variety's(6 gongy's,11 chinese,2 giant shields)but Rick's knowledge is 10 fold on mine,so if he says budwing mantis, african mantids and stagmomantis are easier then I would believe him. but I do find chinese a breeze :rolleyes: but they are aggressive at times.

... and i still dont get 1st instar i think that was what i meant .

thanks in advance
If your question was what a 1st instar is, then all it means is that it's a term given to newly hatched mantids. Once they molt after that, they will be called 2nd instar, 3rd instar, and so forth.

thanks for all the replys , i still am reading about all the bits i need to know , but i think i get the instar bit now , but just to let you know that was one of my questions but it was which is the best starter mantid

i agree with rick on this one my first mantid was a bud wing and they take a licking and keep on ticking, and will eat anything giving to them. its fun to watch them "dive" after a cricket.

My first mantis raised from nymph to adult was Iris oratoria (Mediterranean mantis). They're easy to keep as well, never even misted them. I just don't like the long period it takes to hatch.

Latest posts