My homemade cages

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelofdeathzz

Reaction score
Here are some pics of my home built cage and some of the tenants. bird cage was on clearance for $13.49 was $55.99, so I said there's my frame and bought the last 2 they had. Its 2 1/2 ft tall rapped in metal screen(cat proof) the doors are foam sandwiched in plastic(foam board) it has 9 separate cages, top is one big cage for the violins. I'm building a 2nd one with only 4 larger sections for the violins and some Idolos;) 1 for each sex, males in one females in another. I know some will say thats the dumbest thing I ever saw and some will say wow pretty cool,its all for good ventilation. and yes it took some time 10-12 hours to make. but it is portable 8-10 pounds. sorry the pics are not A1 my $200.00 hd camcorder is better at movies than pics

Not much for scale in the pics but I'm 6'2 and can palm a basket ball(large hands).

IMAG0001.jpg

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0004.jpg

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

IMAG0018.jpg

IMAG0017.jpg

IMAG0016.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is awesome! Looks great...

My only concern is maintaining humidity - especially with all those lights going (don't they make the bars hot?). I can see it was at only 53% when you took the pick and it had been down to 44% within the last 24 hours. I wouldn't want your beautiful sub-adult Gongys to come all this way just to end in a bad molt. Maybe you have this already worked out and the gauge was showing the humidity of where it was kept before you put it into the enclosure.

If not, maybe keep a humidifier running in that room or block some enclosure walls with clear plastic.

Also, don't forget the issues Idolos have gripping screens when molting.

Really nice to see how much time and care people put into maintaining their mantids. :)

My only concern is maintaining humidity - especially with all those lights going (don't they make the bars hot?). I can see it was at only 53% when you took the pick and it had been down to 44% within the last 24 hours. I wouldn't want your beautiful sub-adult Gongys to come all this way just to end in a bad molt. Maybe you have this already worked out and the gauge was showing the humidity of where it was kept before you put it into the enclosure.

If not, maybe keep a humidifier running in that room or block some enclosure walls with clear plastic.

Really nice to see how much time and care people put into maintaining their mantids. :)
yeah I had the bowl of moss get dry the night before I keep the humidity around 55-60% now,well I try anyway."NO not the bad molt"... ;)

Don't Gongies and Idolo's have the same leg structure,the gongy climb all over with ease. I plan on adding many thin twigs for the Idolo's I do know they have issues with climbing. Thanks Precarious;)

Yes the idolo has trouble walking on many surfaces. It seems to stick best to twigs and foam lids.

The same sticks for my Idolos, My gongys really like! They stay on the sticks now instead of on the netting since I put sticks in their net cage.

Yes the idolo has trouble walking on many surfaces. It seems to stick best to twigs and foam lids.

The same sticks for my Idolos, My gongys really like! They stay on the sticks now instead of on the netting since I put sticks in their net cage.
I bought some thin twigs used for flower decoration at the local garden center. They're labeled as "Birch Bales". They are perfect for this - long and straight with a bark texture. I just hope birch bark isn't too slick. They have a good range of thickness. The ends are very thin. Of course, I'm going to wash them really well in case they've been treated for insects. Better safe than sorry.

BirchBales.jpg

(I put the Sasquatch toes in there for the ladies... and for size reference.)

I have like 20,000 photos to upload but here's one of my Violins on their branches.

sat023.jpg

If you look close you can see several violins on the branch in the middle and only one on the roof.

tonsofpicsdoh074.jpg

Sorry to keep hijacking the thread.

Just wanted to show my stick pile from Grandma's house.

Threw my dirty sock foot in there for good measure ;) :lol: Also some cream of mushroom up in there.

Try getting a pile of sticks like this home on your motorcycle! :lol:

sticksyo.jpg