My Introduction

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearbqd

Reaction score
Hi all, wasn't sure which thread to introduce myself. Newbie on the forum here. I'm not obsessed with Mantids like some seem to be, lol, but they have definitely been my favorite insect my entire life. I used to collect as many as I could as a kid and put them all on one big bush we had out front and feed them all manners of things including Twizzlers. Not knowing they were cannibalistic at the time, I was devastated one day when I came outside to check on them only to find that while one of them was molting, another had come along and took advantage of the situation. I was very sad. I was also beside myself with grief one time when, as a child, I accidentally dropped a rock on top of one and killed it. My older sisters, who never missed a chance to mess with me threatened to call the cops on me sense it is illegal to kill them. I begged and begged for them not to call the cops, pleading with them that it was an accident.

As an adult, I have kept a couple in cages that I have caught outside. I was amazed how long they live indoors in a managed environment. I also do welding art with automotive parts. I have welded all kinds of insects and creatures and have probably sold at least a dozen welded mantids over the years on eBay. I call them mechanimals. I haven't welded any in awhile now, but I'll take pictures of the few I have on hand and will try and find pics of some of the ones I have sold in the past.

Anyway, that's about it for me and the mantid world.

Oh, I also know they will eat reases pieces as we fed one a pieces in Georgia one time when I was in military training there.

Welcome.

It is not illegal to kill a mantis. That is one of the most commonly asked questions I get at Bugfest every year.

Latest posts