My modified bug catcher vacuum toy

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriGuy

Reaction score
I forgot where I originally read about this toy, but it's pretty damn awesome. http://www.summittoysshop.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=2419804

There are however a few problems with this device out of the box. My main gripe with it is that the suction power is severely lacking. I'm not sure why they included a low/medium/high power setting because even the high setting is pretty weak. To suck up a decent sized bug, you need to get them trapped in the nose cone, hold down the trigger while tapping them into the collection cup. There was also a loss of suction power due to incomplete seals within the chamber.

I have been known to now and then void some warranties and heavily mod bits of hardware. I've been out of the Guitar Hero/Rock Band game for a little while now and was ready for a new challenge. So what I did was up the power of this device by 50% by hacking in 2 additional AA batteries. I bought a 2xAA battery holder from Radio Shack, cut off the back end to make it flush, and soldered in 2 more batteries in series. I'm happy to give better pictures and a walkthrough for anyone who is interested in this step, but anyone who's handy with a soldering gun and basic wiring should be able to figure it out.

I also increased the efficiency by sealing up some of the air leaks inside the chamber with hot glue and adding an electrical tape gasket to the collection cup.

This thing is now a bug catching machine!! Daddy long legs, flies, grasshoppers, and especially moths don't stand a chance against the incredible suction power of my modded sucky gun.

Pic of my modified bug catcher

Last edited by a moderator:
nice!! i used to have an unmodified one (not sure what i did with it) that i was able to catch mosquitoes at lights with to feed young tenodera hatchlings

good times :D

My daughter got one of those as a gift a couple of years ago. It seemed strong enough for us.

I think that they make the lower power settings so kids don't harm the bugs as much. I liked that about the product.

Do the creatures that you catch with the modified one get all beat up from the powerful suction?

Do the creatures that you catch with the modified one get all beat up from the powerful suction?
I have yet to see any damage to the insects that I've caught. I suppose it's possible, but as they are all bound to be a meal I'm not really looking out for their well being. If I were handling mantis nymphs or something I cared about, I woudn't use this tool. I was originally going to install a push button for the occasional +50% turbo speed, but I find myself only using it at full power.

Latest posts