My new pet

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greater arid-land katydid (Neobarrettia spinosa) or Red eye devil or spiny katydid.

Adult male

ns4.jpg

Adult female

ns5.jpg

How big is that thing? I heard they'll bite the heck out of you if you try to handle them?

The katydid is pretty good size and very bulky. As for how big it is, the pic below would give an idea. The Texas unicorn is close to 3 inches. This will eat any type of insects, including praying mantis.

ns6.jpg

Unless provoke (or hungry), this species does not bite. Someone on bug guide even hold it on the palm

http://bugguide.net/node/view/149500/bgimage

Although i wouldn't recommend.

Last edited by a moderator:
That mantis would have been a nice addition to Bugfest! ;)

oh Yeeeennnn...I want some! First AZ Unicorns and now these? I am seriously impressed!
Sure Peter. Plenty of eggs now. Hopefully these will hatch next Spring.
That mantis would have been a nice addition to Bugfest! ;)
I have too many. Let me know when is your Bugfest i will send it your way.Feeding a mismolt adult female violin mantis

nseat1.jpg

Continue to lay eggs

nslay1.jpg

nsegg3.jpg

nsegg2.jpg

Short clip of the female laying eggs

Edit: The background chirping sound is the adult male N. spinosa calling song.

Very nice video! Was she actually laying eggs in that photo or just testing the substrate for a suitable place to lay? Good luck with hatching the eggs. I know Orin has raised them through the life cycle and wrote an article about it in his Invertebrates Magazine.

wow cool, i have read about how orthopterans stab the ground with their pointy butts to lay eggs but I have never seen that behavior. Thanks for the video!

-Tomato

Latest posts