My praying mantis has an abnormal appetite

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlayingMantis

Reaction score
My praying mantis loves bread for some reason. He gobbled it up like it's the best thing ever. I don't understand...I'm pretty new to keeping praying mantises, but I kept them before. In the past I used to get my praying mantises to eat dead insects by tying the insects to a string and swinging it around.

Btw, my praying mantis is a Chinese praying mantis, I think, and he's about 2" in length. I've been feeding him (live) moths, spiders, and flies. He's a voracious eater! Today I was just bored so I stuck a piece of bread crumb under his head and he grabbed it and started eating it. I was worried that the bread wouldn't be good for him so I managed to get him to drop it, but he probably wasn't really happy that I did that. Do any of you have similar experiences? Is bread bad for praying mantises?

Bread is a carbohydrate, which when digested turns to sugar. It is a processed food.

This is probably quite unhealthy for a mantis. When making choices about a mantis' diet, think of what they'd ordinarily eat when in the wild. :)

Latest posts