name these wild mantids and male/female?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geishagirrrl

Reaction score
i've been missing my mantis and have been wanting a new one. we have a lot of tiny wild ones around but they are really skinny and small, light brown compared to the chinese i had. now all the sudden in 2 days i've seen 3 large mantids outside and one i have caught. these pics are of the two i just saw outside a few minutes ago.

can you tell me what kind you think they are?

are they male or female?

are they full grown?

thanks!

DSC01149.JPG

DSC01151.JPG

ok, reading some of the other posts...

is it a Stagmomantis carolina?

and how can i tell if it's a male or female?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never owned a Carolina before, but I believe that in Carolinas the wings on the female are shorter than her abdomen. You can always count the segments of the abdomen. If it's a male it will have more than six segments. Also the male will have longer antennas and be skinny and lean. Females this time of year should be quite plump. To me the mantises you have here look like males.

hope that helps,

Jess

Those are males. They look very similar to my Stagmomantis limbatas that I caught in Prescott, AZ. If you live back East, then those are probably Stagmomantis Carolinas. My males are just about 2 inches and can fly pretty well

-Kevin

can you tell me what kind you think they are?

are they male or female?

are they full grown?
(1)They are some type of Stagmomantis spp. Like someone said, if you're in the east, they could be carolinas, if west, then they could be limbatas. (2)As for male vs female, regarding this species, they are males because males have wings all the way to the end of the abdomen. The females have shorter wings that go only halfway (only applies for certain species like these). (3)Like with the majority of insects, regardless of size, they are adults when they have wings.

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of cute Stagmomantis carolina adult males. :) They might be small, but I love how thier behavoir differs from Tenodera sinensis. I love my chinese too, I have only kept the 2 species and they are very different to me. The Carolinas don't need all that space that Chinese take up. My Carolinas make more funky dance moves than my Chinese do. :lol:

Those are Stagmomantis males. The males and females at the adult stage look very different. THe males are thin and petite with long wings. The females are bulkier and have short wings.