Native breed

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a few mantis species that are native to the United States. Some of them are Chinese, European, Carolina, and Texas Unicorn. There are plenty more, and I'm sure someone who is more knowledgable than I am will fill you in. :)

I believe this topic was once discussed before. Anyways (correct me if I'm wrong), I think these species are native: California mantid, Bordered (limbata) mantid, Carolina mantid, Larger Florida mantid, Bark mantid, Unicorn mantid, ground mantid.

These are introduced and naturalized in the U.S. (I'm sure there's more): European mantid, Chinese mantid, Mediterranean mantid, Narrow-winged mantid.

There are a few mantis species that are native to the United States. Some of them are Chinese, European, Carolina, and Texas Unicorn. There are plenty more, and I'm sure someone who is more knowledgable than I am will fill you in. :)
Chinese, european, etc are not native hence the names. It depends on what part of the country we're talking about.

If you were in vegas, then it was most likely I. oratoria. But it could've been M. religiosa or L. minor. Those are the most abundant (if not only) species found here.

Latest posts