Nawlins Mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akki

Reaction score
I've lived here in New Orleans for most of my life, and I can honestly say that before Katrina (or "the storm" nowadays) I never saw a mantis anywhere down here. I mean anywhere! And I live next to a large City Park and have a decent sized backyard. It wasn't until after the storm, when I came back to start cleaning up the mess, that I saw my first mantis - I remember it was small (but not as small as the little ones I have now) and green. It did a little mantis dance as I held it and I was totally amazed at this creature! It's been a few years since that first sighting and I've probably seen only 4 or 5 since, but does this mean New Orleans has mantids now? How does such a migration happen? I suppose it's possible that they've always been here, but I was pretty active outside - I would have assumed I would have seen ONE growing up.

Anyways, I'm glad to see them here, and maybe once I get some experience with these guys, I can look into what species are down here (maybe Katrina mutants! The origin of the CREOLE MANTIS! Satchmo for short!) and place some ooths about. This is a very interesting hobby, I love watching my little mantids!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome! They were most likely there before, although different species may have been introduced since the storm. Mantids are great at camouflage ;)

Latest posts