Need advice on found mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randomuser

Reaction score
Hi. I have no experience keeping mantises so please bear with me. I found what I think is a male Carolina Mantis outside. It's fully brown. The temperature in my area was going to drop to the low 40s overnight. I've had it in a clean terrarium with sticks and stuff to climb on, water, and I've fed it 2 small crickets from the pet store. I read that ones from the outdoors can have pesticides in them which makes sense. I've been misting it as well and it's fairly humid in the enclosure. I don't have a way to control the temperature like a heat lamp. I keep the room at about 72F.

I've been trying to figure out how to properly care for it and want to know if I'm doing anything wrong. Would it be more humane just to let it go back outside and deal with the harsh weather? It's going to be cold all week at night. It is mid October and I think they commonly pass around this time due to age? Maybe release and nature take its course?
Thank you for any suggestions. I just don't want him to suffer.

IMG_3819.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts