Need info on Eastern Asian Bark Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsman

Reaction score
I recently saw a photograph of an Eastern Asian Bark Mantis and was shocked at how similar it looked to the Asian Long-horn Beetle (ALB, Anoplophora glabripennis) that were are currently battling here on Staten Island, NYC. I couldn't help but think that it might be a case of prey mimicry and would love to learn more about this mantid and if anyone is currently breeding it (or has preserved specimens). The USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services (APHIS) is dedicated to eradicating the ALB by cutting forest lands, but if their efforts fail, I am hoping to learn more about potential biocontrols for this emerging pest species.

I'd greatly appreciate any help any might offer. Thanks Richard Lynch (Sweetbay Magnolia Conservancy, 347.526.5507, [email protected])

EasternBark_Mantis__Theopompa_sp._.jpg

I doubt that these would prey on beetles, i googled the species you mentioned and they seem pretty chunky, generally i reckon mantids would have difficulty eating such hard bodied insects.

I don't think there is a case of mimicry whatsoever here between the two species. Rather, both species have similar patterns to camouflage of tree bark, so any coincidences are purely convergent. The photo you posted shows a nymph, adults are winged and don't resemble the beetle anymore. Instead, they're even better camouflaged on tree bark. Please google their real name, Theopompa servillei or just Theopompa sp., then you will certainly find pics of the adults. A case of mimicry between the two species would require 1. a unpalatable model and a palatable imitator, or both to be unpalatable (other cases of mimicry don't apply here), and 2. both species to occur in the same area. However, both the beetle and the mantid seem to be well palatable, so there is no sense in mimicking each other. Even if the beetle should be unpalatable to some degree, the mantid is palatable, and as such doesn't provide much helpful information in eradicating the beetle. Secondly, Theopompa are tropical SE Asian, while the beetle (at least the one which invaded the US) came from E Asia, say China.

Many small bark mantid nymphs look like the one on your photo. They are just about 1-2 cm then. The beetle is much larger. Adult mantids reach several cm but don't resemble the beetle anymore then.