Needs for Hestiasula major?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neopixal

Reaction score
Hello! I'm 'fairly' new to the community, I don't have any Mantids of my own "yet". The Hestiasula major or 'Giant Boxer', correct me if I'm wrong with the names. This Mantid caught my eye and I may obtain them in the near future. The problem is I can't find much info about them / what their needs are, are they also a good Mantis to begin with if I've done my research? If not I may be persuaded to start off with Ghost Mantis, which I've done sufficient research about them. Thanks in advance!

Hello

They are a favorite of mine also... No, there is not much info on them, but they are a very cute species...

General mantis care will do. They need a bit of extra humidity since they tend to mismolt by getting their giant raptorials stuck. They're also quite cannibalistic, even as small nymphs. Breeding is a bit on the tricky side because the male is either clueless or skittish, or both, and the female is really aggressive.

Overall they're a great mantis to keep. Love their hand-waving. And also, females lay gigantea bright green ooths, which is always an interesting sight.

Latest posts