New Here-Help me id this mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guscr78

Reaction score
Hi to all, 1st time posting here, so here's my quick intro: I'm a software eng. from Costa Rica who loves insects in general, photography and music. My favorite insect has always been the mantis(d).

I found a small one in my house but I'm not sure if it's native or if it came in my luggage in a recent trip to the beach since I've never seen mantids near my house.

Here're some pics:

11917hl.jpg

155te84.jpg

It measures just 1cm. Not sure if it's like a dwarf mantis or a nymph of some other species. Any ideas? I basically want to know what it is to be able to take care of it better in regards to temperature and stuff.

Cheers,

Gus

Welcome.

It is a nymph. No idea what species but it is neat looking. Great pic.

Its could possibly be a bark mantis or new species of moss mantis in its nymph stage. I would keep it and post pics of it at each instar. Ill admit it looks really cool. Thanks for sharing :)

I think it is Pseudomiopteryx sp. Maybe Pseudomiopteryx infuscata but it looks a bit different from infuscata.

Sorry I can't help with the Id... I agree... it looks really cool...nice find... Keep us updated please

Some awesome photos with wicked details, very nice. Funny a pet that sought you out, sounds like you have a loyal pet.
thumbs-up2.gif
Others have voiced their identity opinions of your mantis, something I'm not cut out for, so i won't try.

Also greetings Gus and welcome to the forum
welcome6.gif

I think it might in fact be a female Pseudomiopteryx sp, after seeing some pics online. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on the gender)

Anyway, here's how she's looking after last night's molting, not sure if it did her any favors aesthetically lol, but my "adoptive father" love is unconditional:

e0powy.jpg

358vrbl.jpg

Here's the leftover skin:

mv5j7d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it might in fact be a female Pseudomiopteryx sp, after seeing some pics online. (Please correct me if I'm wrong on the gender)

Anyway, here's how she's looking after last night's molting:

Here's the leftover skin:
Awesome!!

It DOES definitely look female

Last edited by a moderator:
It is safe to assume female. :D

Might be worth trying to incubate her ooth even though you caught her as nymph - perhaps the ootheca will hatch from parthenogenesis. Even if they don't hatch all you wasted is putting them in a container and occasionally misting it. Many species can have ooths hatch from parthenogenesis, even the common Mantis religiosa. ;)

Latest posts