New macro pics

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After couple of camera classes on using "manual" mode the macro photos are getting closer to what I want finally. There are still much room for improvement, especially on lighting (need diffuser), and maybe cleaning up using photoshop. Following are some to share along.

af8-1.jpg

af12.jpg

af8.jpg

L4a.jpg

af4.jpg

af1.jpg

subm3.jpg

subf7.jpg

sub3.jpg

af9.jpg

Very nice Yen. I love some macro shots.

Thanks all.

@ kamakiri: Agree! Manual mode allows me to better adjust the f-stop and ISO. There are plenty to learn.

@ hibiscusmile: Is a she. If you pay her the flight ticket i am sure she is more than willing to visit your mantis farm too :)

Sitting in the class makes me feel like a baby i must be the only "younger" person still needing tutoring on photographing :D

Here is a snap of the first class when the tutor is going through some basic stuff. She uses Nikon, but i am a Canon fan..... damn!

intro1.jpg

Those are amazing portraits, Yen. As a little construtive art critique, I think the richness of the colors in the mantids gets lost in the intensity of the background color. I always enjoy your photos on this forum. Thanks for the great pics.

Ray

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are amazing portraits, Yen. As a little construtive art critique, I think the richness of the colors in the mantids gets lost in the intensity of the background color. I always enjoy your photos on this forum. Thanks for the great pics. Ray
Thanks Ray. I think the natural light is probably the best. I will bring them to my yard and snap some photos.

I didn't know people with an DSLR shot anything but manual/AV/TV modes!

Im no expert but as a little critique I say change the background color. Its really distractingly bright and takes away from your otherwise good, focused mantid shots. just my 2 cents :)

edit: didn't notice someone already commented on the background.... my bad

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks all. Yeatzee, yep i am going to dicth all those yellow background :) As Pim suggested a black background which sounds like a great idea. But maybe after i get a better flashlight. Will practise taking some pics outdoor this weekend if the weather is good.

Awesome pics Yen!!!!!

As for your background, I agree changing it would help, but I'm not sure I would go black, it tends to be too dark sometimes, but experimentation is all part of the learning game. I am no expert (not even close) but I would try a deep deep green, and maybe some charcoal greys, but that's just me.

I'd also check out what 400 and 1000 ASA film does for your pics - oh, sorry, you have a digital SLR, right? I'm an old guy (correction: really old guy)...I still have a 35mm Minolta that is completely manual with a full set of lenses and filters. Film comes in rolls and you have to go to the mall and wait to see your pics - no preview screen except what you are pointing at....and no immediate results for retakes if needed. Not a Browning, but close :)

Nice work!!!

Wayne

Latest posts