New Mantid ID help please

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stardrop

Reaction score
Hello all

I'm new here, but fortunately not too new to mantids. I work at a local pet store as the reptile/arachnid handler and a customer gave me two female praying mantid that he breeds. I however, in my joy, forgot to ask him the species.

Wondering if anyone here can id what type they are..

IMG_4924.jpg

IMG_4926.jpg

Thanks!

Or often called a shield mantis for obvious reasons. Welcome to the site. Please make an intro in the introductions forum.

Yeah this appear to be similar to the Rhombodera sp. that has been distributed among hobbyist recently. which brought me to the question about the identity of this species again. I sent several dead specimen of Rhombodera sp. to Christian some months ago for identification of this species. Christian, i know you are busy, but would appreciate if you could provide an update for the one i sent you a while ago.

By the way, the pic shows adult female, a ferocious species!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm working on an application. This has priority over all other activities. As I have to dissect the genitalia, and this procedure including the maceration takes at least two days, I have to spare all genitalia I have to do until the application is finished. I will do several genitalia then, including those of your males. Other species are of course much simpler, but those Rhombodera are not distinguishable morphologically - if there really is a difference and they are not all the same. Please excuse the delay.

Thanks for the update Christian, i was not aware the amount of work needed for identification :eek: I understand there are many species of this genus so will wait for the species name from you. Thanks again.

Latest posts