New member, needs advice/help!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bug_Lover_Momma

Reaction score
Hello All,

I live near Toronto, Ontario, and about a month ago I caught a European Mantis. My son is obessed with Mantids and so we kept her as a pet. It's been a good bonding expierence with my son, as we go out and catch crickets and grasshoppers for her often. We noticed that she started getting fatter and fatter, and then having a hard time staying upside down and falling often (I thought she was reaching the end of her life cycle). To our surprise she squirted out an ooth today! I have no idea if it is a fertile one or not... What should I do with it? Leave it in the case with "Walky" (my son named her that cause we were out for a walk when we caught her)? Do I try and remove it from the top of her tank and put it in the paper bag in the fridge? HELP! What do we do?

IMG-20120915-01484.jpg

Spray the egg sac (ootheca) with lukewarm water, wait for about 30 sec for the water to soak, then slwly and gently pry off the ootheca. Then put it in the fridge for about 3 weeks, then take it out and spray it every other day with distilled water. (always use distiled water for mantids). She was caught outside, so she was probably mated. Feed the nymphs fruit flies and aphids. She may lay more, so if you want more for your backyard, or for pets, Feed her lots of crickets. Each ooth will hatch 150+ mantids, though many will die in the first few weeks. Best of Luck to you ;)

Latest posts