New potential hobbiest

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

get-there

Reaction score
I live in central Illinois and have been absolutely in love with insects my entire life. Unfortunately I have never been able to have any as a house hold friend, until now. Last sumumer I found a rather large mantis at my workplace I could have sworn from antenna tip to back leg it was 9 inches long. I could not keep it but this year I found another one just a bit smaller and decided it needed to come home with me since my new apartment is pretty bare. From what I know it almost has to be a Chinese since that is the most common in my area. From what I have read from Peters care sheet is that it is an adult female. I have tried my best to keep her diet as wide as possible but due to the incredible drought we are having it is as if most insects have disappeared the only thing I can find on a regular basis is spiders and very powdery moths neither of which I want to offer her. She has been in my care for about 5 days in that time she has eaten quite a bit of what I have found. However I know I am to the point where I need help cause I have tons of questions, and she just did something tonight when she was offered food that suggests she might be in bad health. She dropped her meal only about 5 bites in and it was covered in vomit I think. I really don't want to lose her already. I have probably a dozen questions and I really don't want to create a forum topic for each so if any body wants to answer them for me Please pm me or email me at [email protected]

0813120354b.jpg

0813120355.jpg

The inscect you find as the spider and moth is fine for her, let her have them, she eats them outside, she may also be going to lay an ooth if adult, if not maybe going to molt, either, she wont eat, give her water daily and let her be, but once a day do see if she wants a spider or moth, if she shys or runs from it, she wants it gone. So in other words, " u eat it! :tt2:

ps welcome!

Why hello there, my first mantis was a Chinese too! She would love the moths and spiders like Rebecca noted, and also like Rebecca said, she could be getting ready to lay an ootheca (egg case) or molt (if she isn't adult yet). Anyways perfect place for a newcomer like yourself, feel free to challenge us with your questions :p

Welcome. Where at in central IL? I am also from central IL.

Latest posts