New to Mantids, interested in a few

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Palex134

Reaction score
I have been breeding Reptiles and Amphibians for years, and I have a decent collection of over 50 individuals, now specializing in rarer geckos. I was recently looking at mantids, and they sparked my interest. Anyone have any good advice for a beginner? I am looking at orchid mantis, but I am afraid they would be difficult? Anyone have any good species in mind for me? Thanks very much

Firstly, welcome to the forum ;) You should introduce yourself in the introductions forums as well.

You have quite a variety of what you can keep for a beginner, but it depends what you want. If you are after a typical mantis (green, large, fairly ferocious), then you can go for a Sphodromantis (African) or Hierodula (Asian/Indian) species. Some more colourful or attractive, you can go for either Crebroter (Indian flower) or Pseudocreobotra (Spiny flower), both wonderful looking, and actually very easy to rear.

Orchid mantids need a little extra attention, but I know lots of people that have reared them with no problems as their first mantis.

Just take a look around the forum, and you are sure to find plenty of information!

Latest posts