New to the Mantid Mania

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waltzes

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've always loved insects and have enjoyed raising caterpillars and ladybirds with my daughters. Last Spring on a whim, I thought it would be fun to hatch some praying mantises. I ordered the kit (including habitat and instructions) from Insectlore, but they were out of oothecas at the time. So, I took the caterpillars they offered me instead and went on e-bay. I found 3 chinese mantis oothecas on e-bay. I gave two to friends who were interested in them as well. I couldn't believe it when they hatched!!! There were so many!!! The ones I gave away hatched, too.

At first I released all but 6. Another friend came and got 2 of the nymphs and let them go in her garden. I had 4 and fed them fruit flies. One morning there were only 3, so figured that was time to narrow it down to one pet praying mantis. The one I kept (I think it is a male) has made it to adulthood quite successfully and I just adore it!!! His/her name is "Fluffy", although it's full name is "Tuffy Ellie Precious Fluffy". We have had more fun with this beautiful insect!

I'm glad to find this forum as I am new to this hobby. Questions often arise and it's nice to have a place to go to ask them. Currently "Fluffy" has stopped eating for a couple days. It ate half a cricket (leaving the poor mangled thing alive) and caught a fly, tore it's wing off, then let it go. Someone told me this is fairly normal for a male to go through a couple days of not being very interested in food, so I'm hoping that's all it is!

At any rate, I know I'm going to continue with the mantis hobby. I'll be anxious to try other types of mantids in the future!