New with a few questions.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fenixflamz

Reaction score
What would everyone recommend as a good beginner species that is attractive to look at, fairly active and available in the US?

I do currently have 10 tarantulas, including server of the "agressive species" so that is not an issue for Mantids.

Also who are the best buyers to buy from that have a good selection and reputation?

Thanks

African mantids are a great beginner mantis. That is what I recommend. Check out the breeder feedback section for feedback on some breeders.

im a beginer and id have to say my asian or african mantises were what id look for first time round. my chinese ones are a tad slow

Africans will be much better for a beginner than a chinese IMO.

I agree with Rick... perhaps a sphodromantis would be best - especially over a chinese... Anyone else in the forum feel free to correct me but I think a beginner's mantis should be stocky (because they can generally take larger prey), large (again, the prey issue and because they are somewhat easier to handle), perhaps something from a cooler climate (so heating/ humidity isn't so much of an issue) and perhaps something with a smooth exoskeleton - because the more complicated, the more problems with shedding?!

So that leaves perhaps m.religiosa, s.lineola or maybe even h.grandis - I have a few and they do well at room temp and i haven't needed to spray once... (I know, shock horror! :shock: :) )

i would say l3 or l4 is good as you can get used to a mantis' earlier stages (feeding fruit flies and whatnot), while it still being fairly sturdy (much more so than hatchlings for instance). and it gives you a good idea of progress in terms of container size, food size etc, which you maybe wouldnt get if you started out with say a subadult. sure itd be easier at first but when it came round to breeding and hatching, you might come unstuck without having experienced the younger end of the life cycle. so i would say l3 or l4 is good. older is good too. younger might be a bit tough for a first time, but not too bad (same principles pretty much, theyre just less forgiving of wrong conditions, especially humidty i find).

Latest posts