Newbie, and S.lineola acting odd?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT

Reaction score
Hi folks i'm the new guy. well, new to the forum,and sorta new to mantids. I've got several S. lineola nymphs L3-L4 and noticed one who doesn't seem to know what kind of mantis it is. yesterday when i was feeding everybody , this little guy took one look at me and assumed the typical Popa spurca stance, you know the one, "nothing interesting here, Just a twig , move along" so i dropped in a cricket and it hunched down against a piece of paper toweling and flattened itself out like a bark mantis or like i've seen budwings do in pics. anybody know if this is NORMAL for this species? found it kinda strange,and amusing, none of the others do that, neither do the H.grandis.thoughts? comments? :?:

I've been keeping some S. Lineola nymphs for about 2 months, and I've seen a few of them flatten themselves to hide. It seems they all have their own individual personalities. Some are shy, some are scared, and some are calm and friendly. I also have a few H. Grandis mantids that seriously flatten themselves out if you startle them.

Welcome! Yeah it is normal, I have some of those right now too.