Newbie here with some questions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Harambe

Reaction score
Hey everyone, new owner of 2 sphodromantis gastrica nymphs. I've been reading a few things about these little guys and I need some help understanding the lingo. Can someone explain the "L1, L2, L3" thing? I know it has something to do with the molting process. I'm also wondering about watering. I spray daily but I'm concerned they arent drinking enough, I'm debating on putting a wet sponge in with them. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Welcome to the forums! So L1 means the mantis has been born from it's ootheca, but has not molted yet. L2 is when the mantis has molted once, L3 is when the mantis has molted twice, etc., etc.  Also, spraying once daily is probably fine. They will drink if they are thirsty, and if you spray more often you run the risk of causing too much humidity which can lead to other bad things growing in your enclosure such as mold. Wet sponges are probably useless also, as mantises just do not drink that way. They would most likely not even know that the purpose of the sponge is to drink.

@Harambe Seems most things were answered already by Sarah K :)

Mantids get their water needs from eating their prey, and will occasionally drink water droplets from habitat sides or decor if they are are getting dehydrated. Any other water is a waste and can lead to bacteria, mites, or other issues.

For watering you should mist the mantid habitat with a fine mist of water that should evaporate in 30 minutes or less, and needs adjusted occasionally due to low humidity (like now in winter with heaters drying up air humidity to dangerous levels for mantids).

The Sphodromantis species needs 50-60% humidity which is typically misting the habitat once every other day; however in winter once a day may be needed. See the care sheet for more information, a 2nd care sheet, and a 3rd. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts