Newbie here

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pray

Reaction score
I recently ordered some Mantis eggs, because I was sick and tired of losing all my garden plants to beetles, etc.

I was supposed to get one sac, with 40-400 offspring, but I got 2 sacs when my package arrived. I'm rather new to this, but I image it's ok to breed one sac inside my house as an insurance policy, and my other I decided to attach 3 feet from the ground to a corn-stalk, and see what happens.

I used to always be a bit intimidated by these things and try to stay away, but right now I am so sick and tired of losing all my vegetables and fruits to other bugs, and our city is banning the use of pesticides which is causing infestations to get out of control.

I recently ordered some Mantis eggs, because I was sick and tired of losing all my garden plants to beetles, etc.

I was supposed to get one sac, with 40-400 offspring, but I got 2 sacs when my package arrived. I'm rather new to this, but I image it's ok to breed one sac inside my house as an insurance policy, and my other I decided to attach 3 feet from the ground to a corn-stalk, and see what happens.

I used to always be a bit intimidated by these things and try to stay away, but right now I am so sick and tired of losing all my vegetables and fruits to other bugs, and our city is banning the use of pesticides which is causing infestations to get out of control.
Well the mantids will surely help you with that! I'm even guessing you'll keep a nymph as a pet once you see the cute little buggars pop out :lol:

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by a moderator:
pesticides suck - as they kill both harmful and beneficial insects. welcome to the forum :) apart from insects there are other ways to guard your crops/veggies :)

Well, I was more of asking a question rather than making an introduction "if it was ok to just tie the eggs to a corn-stalk 3 feet off the ground?"

There actually is another question now I am wondering about. I thought a Mantis was a mantis was a mantis, but I guess there are different variants of them? Was what I ordered simply called a Green or a Brown mantis? I'm not really sure, I just ordered whatever was available at home-depot:

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/praying-mantis-egg-case/910833

Shipping came in 2 days so I was quite impressed with that.

Anyhow, I figured I'd make this into an experiment, if things work out then I'll repeat next year, and if they don't then I know not to buy that product again.

Looks like a European mantis in their pic but you most likely have ooths of the chinese mantis. I feel it is better than using pesticides but don't get too hopeful. Praying mantids as pest control is highly overrated.

Welcome.

I feel it is better than using pesticides but don't get too hopeful. Praying mantids as pest control is highly overrated.
Yes, what Rick sez it very true! Mantids do not discriminate between pests, and other benifical insects. Aside from eating your beetles, they will eat your pollinators too! :(

If worse comes to worse I can always pollinate by hand so that's not my worries.

I just need to stop everything from eating all my leaves full of holes and killing my plants.

It strikes me as odd that Home Depot would sell a living creature as a "product". I understand the reasoning (sort of) but still. I know there is a flying insect that you can get as pest control, I can't remeber what it is though

Hello and welcome to the forum btw ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Pray! :)

I recently tried to buy some ooths from Home Depot Online and their source Ladies In Red - but ooth sales are mostly done by June 1 or thereabouts.

Welcome Pray! :)

I recently tried to buy some ooths from Home Depot Online and their source Ladies In Red - but ooth sales are mostly done by June 1 or thereabouts.
Yeah, I was worried I may be ordering late. That's why they sent me 2 eggs I guess, they were afraid none of them would hatch at this time?

Sadly, it's been weeks now and not one simple Mantis has shown up. I guess I'm sunk for the year?

You have them well-ventilated but with high humidity and/or misting? That should do it if they have a chance.

Give it time and see what happens.

Welcome to the community. Mantids will happily give you a hand...er raptoral arm with your insect problem and there is no need to fear them, they harmless to humans. A word of warning though...If your going to hatch an ooth inside make sure the container doesnt have any holes or gaps in it for the nymphs to excape! I once came home to find about 75 baby chinese on my dinning room table. :lol:

Latest posts