Newbie in the House

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwa_lampa

Reaction score
Hi guys! So one day, I accidentally spotted a praying mantis chillin in the flower garden right outside of my apartment. Thought it was super cool as it was my first time seeing a mantis up close! Did some research online and found out that they can be kept captive. Went back snooping in the garden two weeks later and SURPRISE!!! She was still there!!! Made a home for her out of gallon water jug and some twigs/branches. Started feeding her crickets and whatever insect I could find. (Developed this habit of looking around for "food" when walking outside of my place :p ) Anyways, about two and a half weeks later, I found a male mantis chilling on the ceiling 2 feet away from the front door of our place. Made another ghetto enclosure out of gallon water jug. Wondering if the male was attracted so close to my apartment due to the female's pheromone, I decided to toss him into the queen's lair. Within a matter of seconds, the male hopped onto the female and started doing its thing!!! (Later found out how lucky I was to have um... such horny couples? As it can take A LOT longer before a pair of mantis actually mates :lol: ) 4 days later, the female laid an ootheca!! Saw it while she was giving labor!! Experiencing and witnessing everything taking place within the last month seems surreal!! Well, that's basically what lead me to this forum.

Got couple of questions for yall mantid-experts! First of all, would someone be so kind to tell me what kind of species this is? Didn't find any ootheca that looked like hers in the ootheca ID tread, so was never 100% sure. Second, how long does it take for the ootheca of this particular species to hatch?? I'm in Pasadena, California. Would i have to stick the sac in the fridge for a certain amount of time to create the diapause? Here are couple of pix! Thanks in advance!!

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

m3.jpg

m4.jpg

m5.jpg

Congrats on finding your first, and second mantis and catching "the bug!" :D And welcome to the forum... glad to have you here. :) Your species is a Stagmomantis sp., but I'm not sure which. If you were here in Illinois, I'd tell you it would certainly be S. carolina. But California has S. limbata and S. californica (at least). I've never kept either of these species, so maybe some of our other California residents can give their imput. ;) Again, welcome! :)

Welcome. Stagmomantis sp. for sure. The care is the basically the same for all of them.

S. Limbata, aka the Border Mantis/Arizona Mantis for those who don't have the genus-species memorized. And for some reason the way you posted reminded me of the Fresh Prince of BelAir theme.

Anyhoo, welcome!

Thanks for welcoming me & the ID of the species! Will try to utilize all the info on this site as much as I can! :D

@ZoeRipper - Fresh prince of bel air! LOL

Latest posts