Next stage food?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DefyTheNorms

Reaction score
The only mantis foods I had on hand were 2 sizes of fruit flies - both were perfect for my tiny budwing mantis. My Shield nymph arrived yesterday and she is much bigger than I anticipated. The larger hydei fruit flies are ok for her but she could def take larger food. I had a few wax worms from a sample I received and she devoured  a small one!  Now I have to order her more food. Would blue bottle flies, curly wing house flies, meal worms, and small crickets work?

Speaking of wax worms, does anyone know how to keep them? they came in a little dish with some sort of flakes that they burrow down in. I noticed yesterday that they are dying. Not sure if I was supposed to feed/water them  or something?  Or how they should be stored.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bluebottles should work perfect. As far as the wax worms go: keep them in oatmeal and give them some potato or carrot for moisture.

I mean.. yeah roaches still have to eat. I occasionally put some apple slices in for them.

I mean.. yeah roaches still have to eat. I occasionally put some apple slices in for them.
I think she meant whether roaches are necessary to be used as feeders.

They are an easy way to satiate larger mantids, as opposed to having to feed dozens of bottleflies. Locusts are a good alternative, if you tolerate them better than roaches.

@Velve lol ok I was kinda confused. 

I use roaches as feeders for bigger mantis to keep them extra full. Or if I get a bad batch of pupae.