Not eating

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricardo

Reaction score
So my 4 survivors haven't been eating the pinheads I got. They notice the crickets but just back away and cower instead of going forth and eating.

They drank from the water droplets on a toothpick and Im hoping that will help them especially since they haven't eaten anything probably in a week.

help? And I cant get a hold of flying feeder food for about 2 weeks

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried to hand feed them? If you are willing to do that, you could try breaking a cricket and putting it on the toothpic, then place a juicy part of the cricket to the mantids' mouth. They might shy away at first but, after they realize that crickets are food, perhaps they will catch them on their own.

I have had quite a few mantids that needed a lesson on what crickets are for.
:lol:

I'd say try hand feeding. I had to do that with a tiny Egyptian nymph when he had a bad molt and couldn't catch food. They're stubborn sometimes, but if they're hungry, they'll eat!

I was going to disable and cut up a cricket but the squirmy little bugger just looked so sad and I pitied it. So I got some pinheads instead. It took around a day for two of the gongys to actually catch one for each

Isn't that always the way it is, why do we have to have a heart? :angry: I have to use a blindfold most days when feeding. :lol:
haha. But only two are pigging out and the other two look glum and lazy. One of them seems to be half dead and I'm beginning to suspect he's not going to make it

Ricardo - I have a L4 that is not eating, and so I am trying different things .... I was wondering how your guys are doing?

Isn't that always the way it is, why do we have to have a heart? :angry: I have to use a blindfold most days when feeding. :lol:
I know that I suggested the "cruel to crickets" hand feeding, but I really do not like doing it. I still feel bad for all sorts of feeders. Especially when the mantids eat them abdomen first. <_< Some things, like superworms, I will only use if it is an emergency. I just think they are too cute. :mellow:

Ricardo - I have a L4 that is not eating, and so I am trying different things .... I was wondering how your guys are doing?
well one of mine just refused to eat like the others and eventually died, I tried everything.

there's two that have eaten a few pinheads and one that seems healthy enough but I haven't seen him eat. I decided Im going to separate them in deli cups until they're bigger so it's easier for them to feed.

How many do you have? And your L4 may be preparing to molt

well one of mine just refused to eat like the others and eventually died, I tried everything.

there's two that have eaten a few pinheads and one that seems healthy enough but I haven't seen him eat. I decided Im going to separate them in deli cups until they're bigger so it's easier for them to feed.

How many do you have? And your L4 may be preparing to molt
I don't know where I got the idea that molting is like a month apart.... but you were mostly right, in a little over 2 weeks from the last molt, he molted again! What my problem is that he had mismolted over a month ago, and I hand fed him because he couldn't grasp anything, and now he is expecting to be "spoon fed" all the time, won't go after anything. But, i'm trying different things... hope things go well for your survivors!

I don't know where I got the idea that molting is like a month apart.... but you were mostly right, in a little over 2 weeks from the last molt, he molted again! What my problem is that he had mismolted over a month ago, and I hand fed him because he couldn't grasp anything, and now he is expecting to be "spoon fed" all the time, won't go after anything. But, i'm trying different things... hope things go well for your survivors!
Well it's nice that yours actually eats! My remaining nymphs are very timid , and they just flick their food. I've rarely seen them feed.

Good luck with yours!!

Latest posts