Now for the spider collection ;)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok soooooo anther hobby of mine is keeping spiders. I have always always always kept spiders as when i was young my mom didnt really trust me with larger animals until i got a leopard gecko so i kept spiders that i found interesting in jars and kept a whole rack of diffeent species. Ive owned everything from daddy long legs to wolf spiders. My favorites have to be jumping spiders as i have kept them numerous times and kept a variety of species as well.

Currently, i have an adult female black widow who i could breed but i dont really want to increase thr bw population outside and she lives longer it seems.

I also have a small red spidet that i have nicknamed "the ruby red spider" but these things produce egg sacs like every day! No joke, they are a living egg factory and all the do is eat and poop out eggs lol :p

I also just caught an adult green lynx spider in my neighbor's flower garden where i have snooped around and found many critters there. I have always found these spiders to be beautiful and have always eluded me until yesterday where i found 2 adult females fat as grapes! :)

Idk, spiders go hand-in-hand with my mantises and are both have been my hobbies for as long as i can remember. I'm actually thinking about maybe becoming a spider researcher someday if my passion for mantises and reptiles dont stop me :p

How are you keeping the lynx spider? What size container? I've seen these, photographed them, but never thought to catch one to keep. These would be fun to have.

Where are you located, do you have any Phidippus audax?

Im keeping my green lynx spider in a large plastic jar with a small pothos plants inside. She does make webs so ive been catching flies and butterflies for her to eat.

And i live in the deserts of southern california, near palm springs and indio and forgive me but im not familiar with that species? Does it have a nickname as im not good with scientific names :p

I don't think it has a common name, but it's a large jumping spider, local to socal

2989573241_50e97f090f.jpg

Hmm do you have a shot of its back? Because i have had serveral species of jumping spiders that have legs like that one

If anyone wants them, I have a large yellow & black female garden spider on my eaves and she's got an egg case the size of a golfball up there! Hubby wants compensation for climbing the ladder to get them, though! ;)

(We'll take feeder roaches.)

She must've only laid the egg case a week or so ago, because she didn't have it when she moved up there from our front porch not long ago. I thought a bird had got her, but hubby pointed her out to me the other day and I thought, "Hmm...maybe SOMEONE would like her!" :p

Let me know!

-Carey-

I don't think it has a common name, but it's a large jumping spider, local to socal

2989573241_50e97f090f.jpg
I found a spider just like this it has a little less white but its a big jumping spider with the blue teeth. I caught it and put it with my mantis for food but somehow the big thing managed to find a way out cause I found him on my ceiling the next day. So I was about to just tweezer feed him straight to my mantis when I saw another spider in my sink. It wasn't harry but it was black with some yellow marks on the back with the body shape of a wolf spider and it was about 3/4 the size of the jumping one but I thought it might be venomous. So I put them together in a small container and there was a crazy fight that lasted forever. It was awesome Eventually the jumper finally got on top real good and finished it. No one could have not found that fight interesting, I've still got him and he's in with a daddy long leg now. I hate spiders so I don't at all care if he lives I'm just gonna keep throwing him stuff and see if he can Eat it.

Last edited by a moderator: