Nymph Not Eating...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chostin

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

One of my hetero chaeta nymphs (L3) has stopped eating for about 3-4 days and its abdomen is skinnier than the other nymphs. Is this normal? I thought nymphs only go about a day or two without food before they molt. This nymph seems perfectly healthy otherwise. It ignores fruit fly food too. The temperature is around 80 degrees, I spray water on a daily basis, and there is a constant moderate supply of fruit flies. Can anyone please explain or advise on what to do? I would greatly appreciate it!

Don't worry about it.
laugh.gif
First mantis?
biggrin.gif

2 days without eating is just a average, some eat and molt later the same day, some don't eat for 5-7 days before, just make sure it drinks every day by misting him/her plus it helps raise the humidity for molting and relax is really all you can do.

My last Creo. to mature quit eating for 5-6 days and was in 'pre-molting mode' for 4 days before she finally got around to doing it. :) Worth the wait, she's healthy and intact.

I've had some go more than a week...particularly on the last molt. it is worrisome when you've got a new species, though!

"Fat" species will also swell up with moisture just before molting (kinda' like "water weight gain"), so it will look like they've eaten but haven't.

Your L3 Heterochaeta should be just fine with houseflies, though. They will "ignore" food if it's too small and run from it if it is too large.

There is no strict rule. When they are about to molt, they may not eat for a few days, then after they

molt, they still may not eat till the next day.

On the other hand, I have seen my littler nymphs eating and shedding at the same time!! :huh:

Latest posts