Nymph not eating

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DefyTheNorms

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my very first mantis and I'm not sure if something is wrong. I got a tiny Budwing nymph on Friday (I'm not sure what instar he/she is. He's very tiny). When I upboxed him he immediately devoured a melanogaster fruit fly. He did not eat anything else Friday or Saturday. Yesterday morning (Sunday) he grabbed a fruit fly took a few bites an literally threw it (not sure that's normal for them not to eat the whole thing). Then for some reason my culture crashed and all the melanogaster flies died. So I went to my local pet store but all they had were Hydei. I purchased, and he tried to grab one but it got away. Today after much coaxing, I had to injure one and he finally took it. Same thing a few bites then threw it. The flies just crawl around him and he ignores them. I was expecting him to eat more or at least react to the flies and I'm worried he's not eating enough or that i'm doing something wrong. I did a search but not really finding any info on how much nymphs eat or need to eat or how often. Could someone help me with my concern? Could hydei be too big for him/her?

Snip20171119_8.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Most likely about to molt. I have had nymphs throw their food away after grabbing it and that means a molt

Most likely about to molt. I have had nymphs throw their food away after grabbing it and that means a molt
Thank you! I was reading that they will stop eating when close to molt, but because he/she hasn't yet, I started to worry.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the look of the abdomen he/she seems full. Nymphs dont eat alot. Make sure its enclosure is lightly misted to prep for a molt if it is coming.

Is hydei too big for (I'm guessing) L2 or L3 budwing mantis?  Also, how do you get a mantis to eat honey? 

They should be able to take hydei... but I’ve never kept budwings before so idk. To feed them honey the mantis has to be slightly tame and not run at the sight of your hand close. Take like a toothpick and take a tiny dab of honey. Then put the honey up to the mouth of the mantis and if it wants it, it will start eating it. Make sure the honey isn’t too much though. You don’t want your mantis stuck in honey

the mantis has to be slightly tame and not run at the sight of your hand close
He's definitely tame... Comes to the top edge as soon as I take the lid of and reaches out for my hand and just sits there cleaning himself Haha.. It's amazing how calm he is! I'll try the honey today :D Maybe I'll even coat a hydei in it to entice him to take it.

Has he jumped to your hand yet? I love it when my mantises do that.
Yes, funny you should mention that. He did tonight for the first time. He surprised me, I had no idea they jump like that! He also jumped from his enclosure lid onto my chest lol. He's so tiny it makes me nervous I'll lose him! 

Yes, funny you should mention that. He did tonight for the first time. He surprised me, I had no idea they jump like that! He also jumped from his enclosure lid onto my chest lol. He's so tiny it makes me nervous I'll lose him! 
sweet, once hes an adult he'll fly to your hand instead of jumping. Ive heard its easier to to handle a nymph over a table.

sweet, once hes an adult he'll fly to your hand instead of jumping. Ive heard its easier to to handle a nymph over a table.
Thankfully that's where I was when he did his first jump. Every other time I've had him out with me was outside on the front porch. Now that I know he's capable of Jumping I won't be taking him out on my hand any more.

I remeber when my mantis first jumped. It was a big male polyspilota and the catapulted himself straight onto my face.

As long as he is still plump he should be fine. Just make sure he is warm enough