nypmhs shedding to adult! Whoo hoo!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schloaty

Reaction score
So I was pretty psyched yesterday when the first of my seven Ghost nyphms earned his wings (I think it's male)! I happened by towards the end of the shed, just as he was extricating his two back legs....but the wings were still all rumpled up....I got to watch over the next couple of hours as they stretched out and dried.

I missed that the last time I raised a ghost.....so it was cool to see.

six more to go....then some mating, and a REAL ghost colony... :rolleyes:

Congradulations! :) It's alwas such a great feeling when they reach maturity.
I am so giddy right now, because I have a ways to go before my African babies molt to adulthood, and even more of a ways to go before my Asian babies molt to adulthood.

Congrats Schloaty! I hope the other 6 molt to adulthood without a hitch!

So here we are....9 days later...and the only subsequent molt was the "runt" I had to move to another cage. That one was obviously just one instar behind the rest.

None of the others have shed yet, darn it!. They're eating like pigs, at least....poor crickets :rolleyes:

Am I just impatient?

Ok - so now the next one shed - to SUB adult!

Now I'm worried the male is going to die of old age before there is a female ready to mate!

I hope they hurry up...maybe I should move the females somewhere warmer, and keep the male where he is?

Ok - so now the next one shed - to SUB adult! Now I'm worried the male is going to die of old age before there is a female ready to mate!

I hope they hurry up...maybe I should move the females somewhere warmer, and keep the male where he is?
You can do that if you wish, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. The males usually don't die of old age before the females mature.

Male ghosts can live for quite some time, so you really should not worry. I have ghost nymphs that are moulting to adulthood while mommy and daddy are alive and doing well! :) Congrats on your new adults! :)

Male ghosts can live for quite some time, so you really should not worry. I have ghost nymphs that are moulting to adulthood while mommy and daddy are alive and doing well! :) Congrats on your new adults! :)
Ditto. I have a male that's at least a few months adult...and females that are in the 5-6 month adult range. Hatched 10 months ago today. They already have L5 'babies' :) The oldest female has already laid 16 ooths! So don't worry!

Gadzooks! I had no idea they were so long-lived a species!

16 ooths from ONE female? Did you mate her more than once?

How does a ghost male mate, anyway? I mean, don't they have Halloweenies?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gadzooks! I had no idea they were so long-lived a species! 16 ooths from ONE female? Did you mate her more than once?

How does a ghost male mate, anyway? I mean, don't they have Halloweenies?
Yuk! Yuk! :lol: :p :rolleyes:

She was mated twice...I have the 'full' breeding record for this batch of ghosts in my ad in the classifieds. All 4 females were hatched on 4/2.

Latest posts