Oh, those darn Hydeis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Termite48

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had the task of trying to gather up a bunch of flightless fruit flies and seen how difficult it is. Try this tip. Get yourself a feather. I use a Guinea Hen feather and have used Turkey feather before and it is just as good. You use the feather as you would a broom and it is so easy to push the flies into the container you are hoping they will go into. This does no damage to the fragile fly. And it is very fast.

I just smash them
laugh.gif

me too! when making cultures and they escape, after all these years I still go after the escapees and then more get out while I am chasing the other one! :lol:

me too! when making cultures and they escape, after all these years I still go after the escapees and then more get out while I am chasing the other one! :lol:
haha.

yeah, I just wash them down the drain while making new cultures, and squish the escapees when feeding.

Harry

Mind you, I don't mind leaving them live, it's just I don't want them mixing with the open cups that I am getting ready to fill and hubby after all these years, :rolleyes: "bless his heart" still comes up to me and wants to know what all those little bugs are and where are they coming from
dry.gif

Oh, I TRY to smash them, but they're resilient! I usually have a sponge stopper in my hand, but OBVIOUSLY that makes a lousy "smasher". It DOES, however, help me sort of "mop them up" and flick em back in.

If I wasn't so worried about escapee MANTIDS, I'd just line my shelves with sticky paper.

Latest posts