OMG craziest thing happened HELP!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

necromantica

Reaction score
so remember Ive been looking for egg cases.... well

I found a white mantis in a bush today shes REALLY big in the abdomen area so I took her home all excited Ive never seen a white one before.

well tonight I was sitting in the animal room looking for moths and it seems a bright green and red male flew in my window.... HOW CRAZY IS THAT.

2 in the same day and oposite sex. I havent seen a mantis all year.

anyways why i need help is im not sure exactly what the female is doing I put her into my tank with the unhatched egg cases just in case shes about to lay one and shes laying at the bottom of the tank perfectly strong and reacting to everything around her but shes just laying their on her side her butt is up against the plastic of a plant cup and shes breathing really heavy o.o is she ill? is she laying? im not so sure what to think lol.

also im trying to figure out how to figure out what species they are since they obviously came from outside they dont look anything alike the female is really big about 8 to 10 inches long and pure white shes got green eyes perfectly triangle head and shes not thin at all shes got wings and no spikes no patterns

the male is small skinny and has red on his pinchers legs and edges of his wings hes all bright green

with big black eyes perfectly diamond head no spikes straight wings and hes really playful and flys like madd lol.

hes a great glass climber lol

also im trying to figure out how to figure out what species they are since they obviously came from outside they dont look anything alike the female is really big about 8 to 10 inches long and pure white shes got green eyes perfectly triangle head and shes not thin at all shes got wings and no spikes no patterns
The female is clearly the rare and illusive Mobytimus Dickotimus. This species was discovered by Herman Melville in 1851....

Maybe you could post some pictures.

S-

necromantica,

Seriously, in regards to the female, that is awful big for a any mantid, much less one found in the wild in Oregon. Can you get some pictures of both and post them?

S-

You didn't find a ten inch mantid or even a eight inch mantid. I know of none that match what you describe.

lol well whatever heres the pics their a lil shitty cause I dont want to move her she seems really lethargic, mabie Im off on measurements or something im just trying to get some help not start an epic debate lol. im just trying to figure out whats going on with her im worried.

heres the pics ps sorry about my bfs reflection in the glass i know he looks creepy lol.

this is the male:

228510259461_0_0.jpg

this is the female:

shes in a position where its hard to take pics so hopefully shell move by tomorrow ^^

228510199045_0_0.jpg

228510230405_0_0.jpg

but from what you can see here her abdomen does seem oddly big but im not an expert

If the females is around 4" long, I would guess she is a brown Chinese mantis (T. sinensis). None of the other native species get that big.

S-

If the females is around 4" long, I would guess she is a brown Chinese mantis (T. sinensis). None of the other native species get that big.S-
lol no way shes that small thats about what the green one is if she is a chinese though since that would be most probable isnt their also a probability she could just be a lil over the average size, from what ive read its normal for females to be larger then males. I should just invest in a ruler or something lol.

An old girlfriend told me that men have distorted view of anything in the 4 to 7 inch range. She said they always overestimated size by at least 2 inches...

Hmmm...

S-

ok well apart from sizing back to the question at hand the reason I posted this:

shes being lethargic and just laying their shes done nothing but pulse her abdomen like heavy breathing since about 2 this afternoon that was 12 hours ago

should I be worried??

Those are both european mantids, ( Mantis religiosa).

Do they have black dots on the inside of there forearms?

Shes probally already been mated.

It would seem she cant surport her own weight. Maybe after she lays an ooth she will be in better climbing shape.

Those are both european mantids, ( Mantis religiosa).Do they have black dots on the inside of there forearms?

Shes probally already been mated.

It would seem she cant surport her own weight. Maybe after she lays an ooth she will be in better climbing shape.
thanks thats what i had thought but i wasnt sure, i was just worried if she mighta been ill. do you think her constant rapid breathing or moving her abdomen really rapidly she could be preping to build some eggs shes allways moving it up n down up n down all yesterday and today

They are nearing the end of their lives so that is probably why she is acting the way she is. Lol at 10". Probably not even four.

Latest posts