OMG! This is fun!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prion27

Reaction score
Hey there fellow Mantid enthusiasts! My name is Tom and I am a long time mantid observer. I thought for the longest time that it was illegal to have one as a pet, but I have recently learned that was a mis-conception. I have been visited by numerous over the past 2 years and have been raising ooths' for the past 4 months of the Chinese variety. I have released most, and have been captivated by the L1-L2 molting and growing. California is in the midst of a hot and dry spell that is changing to a wet and cooler spring, but I am hoping to explore other species. My kids are in awe of helping feed them and care for their habitat. My girlfriend has been teaching for years and has brought light to special needs children by showing them the beauty of these amazing creatures. I was glad to see that there is a forum to learn more from people who really care about this great beings. 

Welcome, i'm fairly new as well and i'm also in California.  This place is great and I'm sure you'll find all the information you need.  

Hello Tom and welcome to the forum
welcome.gif

Yeah it is strange what is passed around as being illegal, but with mantids you should be fine. ;) What is even stranger is the various laws on some organisms as pets, but if you capture many of those yourself then they are legal that way. You can read more about that in this section of the forum.

Although it is a great thing for interaction with children, perhaps your girlfriend will inspire some future entomologist. :D

Latest posts