One Year Life SPan???

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod9009

Reaction score
So Ive been intrested in adopting a pet mantis for a very long time and have come across two different issues so far and since I want to become a responsible mantis owned I havent gotten one intil these issues are resolved. The issues are as follows:

Number one issue is the main reason for this post, thus the post was made in the Breeding and Nymph Care forum. Im hesitant in getting a mantis, as I read they only live one season (one year), they breed and then they die. I dont want to buy a mantis every year, if this was true Id want to breed them.

Is this true? Do they really only live a year? If so is this what most owners do, either breed them or buy one every year?

Number two issue is in regards to the legality of owning a mantis. The specific breed I fell absolutely in love with was the orchid mantids. The problem is I live in The US, Florida specifically. Is it illegal for me to own an orchid mantis? If so do I have to settle for the other, less attractive breeds? Are there special permits if Id like to own one?

A third question that just popped in mind a few minutes ago (related to breeding) is this, If I were to breed the mantids, would inbreeding be a problem? Would I have to find someone with the same mantid everytime?

Thank you for the help and I appreciate the community you guys have going on here.

Sincerely Rod.

So Ive been intrested in adopting a pet mantis for a very long time and have come across two different issues so far and since I want to become a responsible mantis owned I havent gotten one intil these issues are resolved. The issues are as follows:

Number one issue is the main reason for this post, thus the post was made in the Breeding and Nymph Care forum. Im hesitant in getting a mantis, as I read they only live one season (one year), they breed and then they die. I dont want to buy a mantis every year, if this was true Id want to breed them.

Is this true? Do they really only live a year? If so is this what most owners do, either breed them or buy one every year?

Number two issue is in regards to the legality of owning a mantis. The specific breed I fell absolutely in love with was the orchid mantids. The problem is I live in The US, Florida specifically. Is it illegal for me to own an orchid mantis? If so do I have to settle for the other, less attractive breeds? Are there special permits if Id like to own one?

A third question that just popped in mind a few minutes ago (related to breeding) is this, If I were to breed the mantids, would inbreeding be a problem? Would I have to find someone with the same mantid everytime?

Thank you for the help and I appreciate the community you guys have going on here.

Sincerely Rod.
1. Yeah most species live a year. Nymphs (newborn mantids) tend to die very fast.

2. I would check out this forum topic to get an idea of the "legality" of owning a mantis.

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4734

It really depends in which state and with Floridas python infestation and other introduced species I would assume their laws would be more strict. You should be okay with Chinese Mantids, European Mantids, The Florida Bark mantis, and Carolina Mantids, as they are native to the US.

3. Dont really know too much about inbreeding mantids but i think inbreeding isn't really an issue, but then again it probably differs from species to species. I'll let the more experieneced breeders answer that. If you are concerned with buying a mantis every year, and you choose to keep only native species, I wouldn't worry about it. Chinese Mantis Ooths (Egg cases) go for about 10 bucks on average and they can hatch 50-100 possibly more mantids. If you choose to buy an exotic mantis, then ouch! they cost a bit more money.

A year is really pushing it for most mantids though some species live longer than others. Check out the regulations forum for the legality of keeping. It is a gray area and I will leave it at that. Don't attempt to contact any agency to find out, you won't get far and will only invite the man into your life. Inbreeding generally isn't a problem and most of us do it. However, if you were going to keep breeding certain species for a long period of time it would be beneficial to get some outside individuals to broaden the gene pool.

Also,please make your introduction in the introductions forum.

Most of our native species hatch out in May and live till September for a grand total of 5 months.

Latest posts