Opinion needed. FF culture quality.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synapze

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First... this culture wasn't purchased from anyone in our community and this post shouldn't be considered feedback for anyone ... merely a learning experience for me. ?

Do you consider this culture acceptable or do I expect too much? In my opinion, this culture looks like it's already fulfilled its purpose. 

Observations: No fly activity and it looks like all the pupea have already hatched. 

This was a $15.00 culture. 

Odd:  Notice the condition of the culture medium compared to the fresh looking excelsior. ?

Is this acceptable to any of you?

20180926_150345_zpsrlw2skp4_edit_1538065380392_zpslzf9o7g5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not going to say that you got scammed, but the culture does appear to be at least a weeks old, maybe more. When you bought it, was it sold as a “Producing culture” or a fresh culture? I can’t really tell from the picture, but they look like Melos... from my experience (which is limited), they usually don’t start producing pupae for at leas a week/week and a half from being introduced to the medium. If the culture you have is already got hatched pupae, it’s at least a couple weeks old. And with how the medium looks, it is definitely at least 2 weeks old. In fact, it looks a lot like my “parent culture”, which is my main producing culture that lasts usually for 7-8 weeks. Whenever there are 50-100 flies in it, I transfer them to a fresh culture, then wait for more to hatch, transfer, rinse and repeat. That’s how I was able to turn a tiny vial of 50 flies into currently 10 full sized, PACKED cultures. 

If I were you, I would cordially send them a message, and the picture, and kindly ask for an explanation, as well as a refund/replacement. From the lols of it (at least for me) it is unacceptable. 

If I were you, I would cordially send them a message, and the picture, and kindly ask for an explanation, as well as a refund/replacement. From the lols of it (at least for me) it is unacceptable. 
I have and the response was basically, "this is just the way a culture looks."

When you bought it, was it sold as a “Producing culture” or a fresh culture?
A seeded culture. I would have been OK if there were at least 50 flies. I consider, and maybe I'm wrong, a seeded culture to have reasonably fresh medium and sufficient flies to get a culture started. 

In fact, it looks a lot like my “parent culture”, which is my main producing culture that lasts usually for 7-8 weeks
Exactly! Surely no one would use cultures until they are reaching end of life then list them for sale.

I can’t really tell from the picture, but they look like Melos.
They were supposed to be hydei. ?

My fly shortage is approaching critical. I ordered a backup from someone else and if it hadn't been perfect, I'd be out by the compost bin catching FF... like when I first started this hobby. ?

Last edited by a moderator: