Orb weaver doing well in below freezing outside!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwebster

Reaction score
Normally all our orb weavers outside die by now, on Central Coast of California. But one beautiful araneus, Charlotte, is still on our porch! Weather is dry and very cold, 24 to30 degrees. I am always so glad to see her every morning! Is her longevity unusual? Climate change or just luck? 

Trying to post photo of Charlotte. She is lovely. I feel sad because she isnt making a web or eating. If you enlarge the photo below you can see how pretty her markings are. She is about a half inch across.  105ACE02-F638-40B2-8156-EF7767A49F12.jpeg

Sadly Charlotte has disappeared tonight. She made a small web this morning, but tonight, i cannot find her. I searched for her body everywhere on the porch but found no trace of her. There is a small curved leaf next to where she was living, held by silk. Hope she or her egg is behind it. I feel silly crying for a spider. I never watch “ Charlottes Web” because it makes me cry. Was hoping she might overwinter. It will be 32 degrees tonight. 

Charlotte is sitting on her egg case! Much reduced in size but alive. Was SO glad to see her. She is smaller but still has her markings. Wish i what kind she is. Hope her egg hatches in the spring.

99A8459F-93CE-43F1-8C4F-4307CE754228.jpeg

Charlotte is hanging in there. But the forecast tonight is 29 degrees F. I thought about bringing her indoors but since she laid an egg, i dont think she would like that. She is a real cutie. 

Thank you both. Last night found another orb weaver in the back yard too! Unusual for winter. She ( assuming she) lives behind a leaf on a window. I watched her for months and thought she was gone. What orb weavers can survive low 30 nights?