Orchid dying I think

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
Adult female. Been adult almost two weeks. One eye has turned nearly black and now she is walking in circles and ignoring food. I suspect she is going to die. I fed her a cidaca I found outside a few days ago. Seems her symptoms started soon after that. The cicada appeared fine. This sucks. <_<

Not really looking for any advice. Just thought I would share.

Hmmm.... sorry to hear. I hope she doesn't die on you, but there's not much you can do to prevent it that I know of. Take heart that you know as much about mantis keeping as about anyone here... and I'm sure you've given good care. Like you say.... sometimes it just happens. Let us know how it turns out. ;)

Hmmm.... sorry to hear. I hope she doesn't die on you, but there's not much you can do to prevent it that I know of. Take heart that you know as much about mantis keeping as about anyone here... and I'm sure you've given good care. Like you say.... sometimes it just happens. Let us know how it turns out. ;)
Shes the one I got from you. No Phil I have one more.

Whatever it is it is getting worse. The black is spreading to the rest of the head. She walks in circles. I wish we knew what caused this sort of thing.

P8170290.jpg

P8170291.jpg

P8170292.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Awww man.... it's sore to the heart just looking at the pics.

looks like some kind of infection.

I'm sorry man.

I'll post more pics if it changes tomorrow. I disinfected the enclosure but I doubt that will do anything at all.

Just curious.... Has anyone ever heard of aputating an "infected" mantis eye before? Hmmm.... If worse comes to worse, it might not hurt to experiment. Then put on some antibiotic ointment, I'd think... and see how it goes. If it gets to the point of nothing to lose... it might be worth a try.

She appears to be mostly dead today. I couldn't cut the eye off since the head is turning black too.

Well she is still alive but her entire head is almost black.

P8180295.jpg